Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Kingdom City, MO
Kingdom City, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Kingdom City, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Kingdom City, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for our physical and mental well-being. But too frequently, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to the injured and vulnerable in Kingdom City, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Kingdom City, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in auto wrecks across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which caused 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which resulted in 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Nationawide, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes transpire at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, each year they account for over twice that in traffice-related deaths. The discrepancy points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Kingdom City, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist just did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that "midblock" accidents do more damage because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Kingdom City, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Kingdom City, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Kingdom City, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because of the severity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need accomplished and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Kingdom City, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Kingdom City, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that led to your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is liable, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any other vehicle, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone hits you because they were texting and driving, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how drivers are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. Under the legal theory of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a law. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will be more accommodating in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Component
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as tires, you can file a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety issue is found. If they are negligent in that duty, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform drug tests, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Entity
Municipal agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Kingdom City, MO roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole caused your accident, your Kingdom City, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so an attorney is imperative to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Kingdom City, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical expenses, which you will be compensated for. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Was the accident severe enough to require a joint replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Kingdom City, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional health — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it a grind just to bring the groceries in? An accomplished and talented Kingdom City, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who sustained a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Kingdom City, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies usually have much more. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially at fault, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. Meaning, if it is determined that your economic and noneconomic damages come to $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Kingdom City, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your injuries. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence has a right to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Kingdom City, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Kingdom City, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Kingdom City, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their abilities to fighting for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they recover the full compensation they deserve. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Kingdom City, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.