Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Kingdom City, MO
Kingdom City, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Kingdom City, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Kingdom City, MO. Riding a bicycle can inspire a wonderful sense of freedom. But too often, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Kingdom City, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an accomplished and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Kingdom City, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Kingdom City, MO to secure the optimal outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Kingdom City, MO can provide assistance in a multitude of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you optimize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are legally entitled to
- Finding extra insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law truthfully and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless insurance representative can feel defeating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do whatever it takes they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing very little about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to pay as little money as feasible. We'll make sure they understand their lawful responsibility to compensate you for every single one of your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complicated legal processes, including gathering evidence, interviewing people who saw the accident, analyzing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make errors or miss important steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a vulnerability.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle ensuring your compensation while you focus on recovering.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more complex to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interview witnesses, examine medical records, and connect your injuries to your accident, as well as depose witnesses who can corroborate your story. The more complicated your case, the more evidence is needed. Skilled bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to find the evidence needed to get a full financial recovery.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if liability isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to fight against your rights. That's why you need seasoned personal injury lawyers in your corner to file a lawsuit and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced Kingdom City, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side for the duration of your case, from initial consultation through a jury verdict.
Kingdom City, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in traffic wrecks across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people died, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which resulted in 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
Across the U.S., highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes transpire at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, annually they account for more than two percent of traffic accident fatalities. The deviation points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Kingdom City, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver negligence or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically causes bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents between intersections are more severe because of the higher speeds involved. Your Kingdom City, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Kingdom City, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in lifelong disability. We've helped secure maximum compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because of the severity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need knowledgeable and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Kingdom City, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Kingdom City, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the causes of your accident. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is liable, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and make each of them reimburse you based on how much of the accident was their fault. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as an operator of any passenger car, and in the event of an accident the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as yielding to bicyclist when turning. Under the legal practice of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Car Parts
If your result was because of a defective product, such as headlights, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they are negligent in that duty, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be responsible for a percentage of your compensation.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Kingdom City, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting contributed to your accident, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Kingdom City, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is vital to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who cause an accident while driving within the scope of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, according to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Kingdom City, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More debilitating injuries lead to higher medical bills, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a a visit or two with your primary care doctor. Was the accident severe enough to require a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Kingdom City, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional well-being — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the physical and emotional distress caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? An accomplished and knowledgeable Kingdom City, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you need to be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who sustained a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Kingdom City, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 35 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is secure.
- Policy limits — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises may have up to $5 million in coverage. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal philosophy of comparative fault, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially liable, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. So if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Kingdom City, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that large corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We do what we do every day because we believe that everyone has should have access to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Kingdom City, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several things you should do to help you heal physically and optimize your compensation.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Seek Medical Attention
If you can, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could make your injuries worse. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, wait for emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, visit the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you you are free to leave the scene. If you didn't go the same day, schedule a visit to your primary care physician in the days afterward. If you don't have a doctor's record of your injuries, you won't be able to get compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing the other party's liability. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't admit fault or over-embellish what happened. Be honest, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't provide any information they don't specifically ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident site, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can get in touch with them at a later time.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an unfairly low offer. They want you to settle before you become aware of the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost never true. Most injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always recommended to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Kingdom City, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Kingdom City, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, infuriating and creates a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Kingdom City, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their lives to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they get the full compensation they are entitled to. You only pay if we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Kingdom City, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.