What to Do After a Car Accident in Camdenton, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Camdenton, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Camdenton, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of the modern world. They can happen in a heartbeat, and can lead to significant physical, mental and financial hardships. If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to know what to do next to get the full and fair compensation you're legally entitled to. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Camdenton, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our practice to ensuring the average person in Camdenton, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that large corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case for free.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Camdenton, MO
Being in a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's imperative to stay calm and do the following:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call for emergency personnel immediately and render aid if you can.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Don't leave the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri law and Illinois law require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. The point of calling the police isn't to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Take photos — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence later on.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Camdenton, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Camdenton, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your future. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't say anything before you speak with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt in the accident, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the personal injury process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in discussing your case with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your legal rights. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Camdenton, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Camdenton, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the legal process, ensure you receive the best possible compensation and defend your rights.
There are numerous circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Camdenton, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver is blaming you for your injuries, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The other insurance company will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can assign the appropriate amount of blame to each party, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If a family member passed away in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Camdenton, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Camdenton, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will fight on your behalf and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Camdenton, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and acquire other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can determine the full value of your claim to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Camdenton, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and convince the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Camdenton, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Camdenton, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable aid after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Camdenton, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Camdenton, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Camdenton, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving the highest standard of legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Camdenton, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.