Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Camdenton, MO
Camdenton, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Camdenton, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Camdenton, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But on too many occasions, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We serve clients in Camdenton, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an accomplished and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Camdenton, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in motor vehicle crashes in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which resulted in 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle collisions 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
Across the U.S., highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes occur at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for over two percent of traffic accident fatalities. The disparity speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Camdenton, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist error or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically leads to bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently marked construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents between intersections do more damage because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Camdenton, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Camdenton, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Camdenton, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the severity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need experienced and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Camdenton, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is Liable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Camdenton, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that led to your injuries. Each injury is different, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is liable, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as an operator of any passenger car, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone hits you because they were driving drunk, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as yielding to bicyclist when turning. Following the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a law. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will be more accommodating in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car Parts
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as brakes, you can seek a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they are negligent in that duty, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Governmental agencies at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Camdenton, MO roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole played a part in your accident, your Camdenton, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own rules for maintaining safe roads. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so an attorney is crucial for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Camdenton, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More debilitating injuries lead to higher medical bills, and you should receive all of those expenses. Surgeries will lead to more money than a a visit or two with your primary care doctor. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Camdenton, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and mental well-being — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the physical and emotional distress caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? An experienced and skilled Camdenton, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Camdenton, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 25 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is secure.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially liable, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. So if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Camdenton, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. Our practice is founded on the idea that everyone has should be able to lean on the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Camdenton, MO:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Camdenton, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, painful and leads to a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Camdenton, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their abilities to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive all the money they are entitled to. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Camdenton, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.