Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Camdenton, MO
Camdenton, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Camdenton, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Camdenton, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But on too many occasions, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Camdenton, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an accomplished and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Camdenton, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Camdenton, MO to guarantee the optimal result. A personal injury lawyer in Camdenton, MO can give support in a range of ways:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are legally owed
- Finding extra insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law fairly and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance representative can feel defeating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do anything they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing very little about injury and accident law to pay as little money as possible. We'll ensure they understand their lawful duty to reimburse you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complicated legal processes, including acquiring evidence, deposing people who saw the accident, examining medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are unfamiliar with injury claims can make errors or neglect important details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a advantage, not a disadvantage.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on healing.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to question witnesses, analyze medical records, and link your injuries to your accident, as well as depose witnesses who can validate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Skilled bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to find the evidence needed to get maximum compensation.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if liability isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to fight against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced Camdenton, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from our first case evaluation through a jury or bench trial.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Camdenton, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle crashes across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people died, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle collisions, which resulted in 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Over three-tenths of bike crashes transpire at night, when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American travelers, each year they account for over twice that in motor vehicle deaths. The discrepancy speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Camdenton, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist simply did not see a bicyclist. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically leads to bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that "midblock" accidents are more severe because of the higher speeds involved. Your Camdenton, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Camdenton, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Camdenton, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need talented and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Camdenton, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is Liable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Camdenton, MO?
Who is liable depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your injuries. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any passenger car, and in the event of an accident the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how drivers are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as respecting bike lanes. Pursuant to the legal practice of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Component
If your accident was because of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, you can make a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue comes to light. If they don't, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company failed to carry out drug tests, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Municipal agencies at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Camdenton, MO roadways. If a hazard such as cracked pavement caused your injuries, your Camdenton, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own rules for maintaining safe roads. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so an attorney is vital for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who injure somebody while driving within the course of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, according to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover for My Camdenton, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to more money than a an appointment or two with your primary care physician. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Camdenton, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Does your wrist lock when you try to play the guitar? An experienced and talented Camdenton, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a back injury in a bicycle accident in Camdenton, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially to blame, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. So if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Camdenton, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should be able to depend on the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Camdenton, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be frightening and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several things you should do to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Seek Medical Attention
If you can, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could exacerbate your injuries. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, wait for emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, visit the emergency room or urgent care after authorities tell you it's safe to leave the scene. If you didn't go immediately, make an appointment with your primary care physician in the days afterward. If you don't have medical documentation of your injuries, you won't be able to receive compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing the other party's liability. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't acknowledge fault or over-explain your actions. Be honest, but don't say anything beyond the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't provide any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can contact them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be a lowball offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost never true. Many injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always recommended to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Camdenton, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Camdenton, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Camdenton, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their abilities to standing up for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they recover all the money they are entitled to. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Camdenton, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.