What to Do After a Car Accident in Dardenne Prairie, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Dardenne Prairie, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Dardenne Prairie, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately ubiquitous in today's world. They are always unexpected, and can cause significant physical, emotional and financial damage. If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to know what to do next to protect your future. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Dardenne Prairie, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our careers to ensuring everyday people in Dardenne Prairie, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in Dardenne Prairie, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's crucial to keep your wits about you and take the following steps:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or unconscious, call 911 right away and provide medical attention if you are able.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. The point of this isn't to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when filing your claim.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Dardenne Prairie, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Dardenne Prairie, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, you still need to follow certain steps to ensure you get the financial recovery are owed. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Certain injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt through no fault of your own, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you understand the injury claim process and ensure the insurance company doesn't treat you poorly. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't believe you are owed much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a traumatic occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath is crucial in getting the financial recovery you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your financial well-being as it relates to the accident. If the insurance company won't be fair, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Dardenne Prairie, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Dardenne Prairie, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are significant, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you get full compensation and defend your rights.
There are several situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Dardenne Prairie, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love passed away in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Dardenne Prairie, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Dardenne Prairie, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will be your legal advocate and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Dardenne Prairie, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and gather other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company for you ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Dardenne Prairie, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced Dardenne Prairie, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Dardenne Prairie, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial aid after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Dardenne Prairie, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Dardenne Prairie, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Dardenne Prairie, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving great legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Dardenne Prairie, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.