Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Dardenne Prairie, MO
Dardenne Prairie, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Dardenne Prairie, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Dardenne Prairie, MO. Riding a bicycle is a great way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But on too many occasions, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you were injured in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to the injured and vulnerable in Dardenne Prairie, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to a qualified and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Dardenne Prairie, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in traffic wrecks in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which caused 351 injuries and six deaths, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, which lead to 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Across the U.S., the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Over three-tenths of bike crashes occur between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for more than two percent of motor vehicle fatalities. The discrepancy speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Dardenne Prairie, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report found that "midblock" accidents do more damage because of the higher speeds involved. Your Dardenne Prairie, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform an exhaustive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Dardenne Prairie, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be disastrous and even sometimes result in lifelong disability. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Dardenne Prairie, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because of the severity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need knowledgeable and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Dardenne Prairie, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is Responsible for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Dardenne Prairie, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the causes of your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is liable, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any other vehicle, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone injures you because they were driving drunk, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Following the legal practice of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a law. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Car or Truck Component
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as steering systems, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue arises. If they are negligent in that duty, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than regulations allow, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Entity
Governmental agencies at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Dardenne Prairie, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as a pothole caused your injuries, your Dardenne Prairie, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is necessary to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Dardenne Prairie, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic loss and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — More serious injuries lead to higher medical costs, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Dardenne Prairie, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it painful to sleep in certain positions? An accomplished and knowledgeable Dardenne Prairie, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a construction worker who suffered an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Dardenne Prairie, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 35 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is comfortable.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises may have up to $5 million in coverage. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially to blame, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if it is determined that your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering come to $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your compensation would be lowered by $30,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Dardenne Prairie, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your damages. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Dardenne Prairie, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Dardenne Prairie, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Dardenne Prairie, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their abilities to fighting for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive all the money they are entitled to. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Dardenne Prairie, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.