Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Dardenne Prairie, MO
Dardenne Prairie, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Dardenne Prairie, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Dardenne Prairie, MO. Riding a bicycle is a wonderful way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But too frequently, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to the injured and vulnerable in Dardenne Prairie, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an accomplished and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Dardenne Prairie, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Dardenne Prairie, MO to guarantee the best possible result. A personal injury lawyer in Dardenne Prairie, MO can offer help in a range of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you increase your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding extra insurance coverage if your damages exceed the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law fairly and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless insurance representative can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often count on claimants knowing very little about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to provide as minimal money as possible. We'll make sure they understand their lawful obligation to reimburse you for every single one of your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are unfamiliar with injury claims can make mistakes or neglect critical details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a advantage, not a weakness.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle ensuring your compensation while you focus on getting better.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interrogate witnesses, analyze medical records, and connect your injuries to your accident, as well as interview witnesses who can validate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Skilled bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to find the evidence needed to get a full financial recovery.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if liability isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and take them to court if necessary.
As experienced Dardenne Prairie, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can fight for you throughout your case, from our first case evaluation through a jury verdict.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Dardenne Prairie, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in motor vehicle wrecks across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, which resulted in 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both states, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes occur at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, annually they account for more than two percent of traffice-related fatalities. The discrepancy speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Dardenne Prairie, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist just did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically leads to bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that "midblock" accidents do more damage because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Dardenne Prairie, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Dardenne Prairie, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure maximum compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because of the severity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need talented and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Dardenne Prairie, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Dardenne Prairie, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that caused your case. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is liable, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and make each of them compensate you based on how much of the accident was their fault. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But the road is for everyone, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone hits you because they were driving under the influence, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. According to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more accommodating in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Motor Vehicle Parts
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as headlights, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they are negligent in that duty, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Entity
Municipal agencies both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Dardenne Prairie, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting played a part in your injuries, your Dardenne Prairie, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is vital for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who cause an accident while driving within the scope of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Dardenne Prairie, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More serious injuries lead to higher medical costs, which you will be compensated for. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a an appointment or two with your primary care physician. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Dardenne Prairie, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful to sleep in certain positions? A seasoned and talented Dardenne Prairie, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who suffered an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Dardenne Prairie, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been severely compromised. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially to blame, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if it is determined that your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering come to $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent responsible.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Dardenne Prairie, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should be able to lean on the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Dardenne Prairie, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be scary and confusing, but there are several steps you should take to help you recover physically and enhance your compensation.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Seek Medical Attention
If you can, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, visit the emergency room or urgent care after authorities tell you it's safe to leave the scene. If you didn't go immediately, see your primary care physician in the days afterward. If you don't have medical documentation of your injuries, you won't be able to get compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in proving how the other drive caused your injuries. Police are trained to determine fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't confess fault or over-explain what happened. Be truthful, but don't say anything beyond the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't give any information they don't specifically ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident location, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can contact them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an unfairly low offer. They want you to settle before you become aware of the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost hardly ever true. The majority of injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always worth it to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Dardenne Prairie, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Dardenne Prairie, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Dardenne Prairie, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their abilities to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive all the money they deserve. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Dardenne Prairie, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.