What to Do After a Car Accident in Rock Hill, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Rock Hill, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Rock Hill, MO. Car accidents are all too common in today's world. They are always unexpected, and can cause significant physical, mental and economic hardships. If you were injured by a negligent driver, you need to know what steps to take to protect your future. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Rock Hill, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our careers to ensuring that those injured in Rock Hill, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
In the Moments Right After Your Car Accident in Rock Hill, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's important to stay calm and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or unconscious, call 911 right away and give first aid if you are able.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri law and Illinois law make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of calling the police isn't to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Take photos — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about what you did leading up the crash.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Rock Hill, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Rock Hill, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your future. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt by a negligent driver, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you understand the injury claim process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in discussing your case with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe you are entitled to much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be an overwhelming occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your financial well-being as it relates to the accident. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Rock Hill, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Rock Hill, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the legal process, ensure you get fair compensation and defend your future.
There are several circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Rock Hill, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver refuses to be held accountable, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can assign the appropriate amount of blame to each party, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love died in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Rock Hill, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Rock Hill, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will stand by your side and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Rock Hill, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and obtain other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company for you ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the extent of all your damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Rock Hill, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the legal process. An experienced Rock Hill, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Rock Hill, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during a difficult time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable assistance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Rock Hill, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Rock Hill, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Rock Hill, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and it's essential to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving the highest standard of legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Rock Hill, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.