What to Do After a Car Accident in Quincy, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Quincy, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Quincy, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of today's world. They can happen in a heartbeat, and can lead to considerable physical, mental and financial burdens. If you were injured by a negligent driver, it's important to know what to do next to get the full and fair compensation you deserve. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Quincy, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our practice to ensuring everyday people in Quincy, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal representation that massive insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case review.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Quincy, MO
Being in a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's imperative to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call for emergency personnel right away and provide medical attention if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Don't leave the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri law and Illinois law obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. The point of calling the police isn't to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report will be vital for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Take photos — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about what you did leading up the crash.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Quincy, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Quincy, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident scene, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the financial recovery are legally entitled to. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to at least get looked over by a medical professional. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt through no fault of your own, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the personal injury process and ensure that your rights are protected. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe you are owed much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a traumatic experience, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following our guidelines, you can help protect yourself. If the insurance company won't be fair, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Quincy, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Quincy, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you receive fair compensation and protect your rights.
There are numerous circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Quincy, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver refuses to be held accountable, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one passed away as a result of the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Quincy, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to speak to one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Quincy, MO car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Quincy, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will stand by your side and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Quincy, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company for you ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Quincy, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Quincy, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Quincy, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable aid after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Quincy, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Quincy, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Quincy, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving high-quality legal advocacy to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Quincy, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.