What to Do After a Car Accident in Lake St. Louis, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Lake St. Louis, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Lake St. Louis, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately commonplace in the modern world. They happen without any notice, and can lead to devastating physical, mental and financial damage. If you find yourself in a car accident, it's important to know what steps to take to protect your future. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Lake St. Louis, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our practice to ensuring that those injured in Lake St. Louis, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Lake St. Louis, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be confusing. However, it's essential to stay calm and take the steps outlined below:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is severely injured or unconscious, call 911 immediately and give first aid if you can.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. The point of this isn't to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report will be vital for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Take pictures — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Lake St. Louis, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Lake St. Louis, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident scene, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the compensation are legally entitled to. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Some injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt through no fault of your own, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you navigate the injury claim process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in discussing your case with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be an overwhelming experience, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following the above steps, you can help protect your legal rights. If you need further assistance, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Lake St. Louis, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Lake St. Louis, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are severe, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you receive fair compensation and defend your rights.
There are several situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Lake St. Louis, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If you were injured in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can assign the appropriate amount of blame to each party, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If a family member died in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Lake St. Louis, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to talk to one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Lake St. Louis, MO car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Lake St. Louis, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will be your legal advocate and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Lake St. Louis, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Lake St. Louis, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the legal process. An experienced Lake St. Louis, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Lake St. Louis, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during a difficult time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial guidance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Lake St. Louis, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Lake St. Louis, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Lake St. Louis, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving great legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Lake St. Louis, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.