What to Do After a Car Accident in Edwardsville, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Edwardsville, IL Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Edwardsville, IL. Car accidents are unfortunately ubiquitous in modern society. They are always unexpected, and can lead to ruinous physical, emotional and economic damage. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what steps to take to get the full and fair compensation you deserve. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Edwardsville, IL, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our practice to ensuring everyday people in Edwardsville, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal representation that massive corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Edwardsville, IL
The moments immediately following a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's crucial to stay calm and take the following steps:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or unconscious, call 911 right away and render aid if you know how to.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to assign blame in a car accident. Their report will be vital for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about your actions.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Edwardsville, IL or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Edwardsville, IL Car Accident
Once you've left the accident scene, you still need to follow certain steps to ensure you get the financial recovery are legally entitled to. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and communications with the insurance company.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't say anything before you speak with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt in the accident, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you understand the injury claim process and ensure that your rights are protected. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in consulting with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your financial well-being as it relates to the accident. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Edwardsville, IL Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Edwardsville, IL with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are significant, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the legal process, ensure you get maximum compensation and defend your future.
There are many situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Edwardsville, IL to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver refuses to accept responsibility, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If a family member died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Edwardsville, IL to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to speak to one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Edwardsville, IL car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Edwardsville, IL Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will stand by your side and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Edwardsville, IL car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can determine the full value of your claim to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Edwardsville, IL car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any concerns you may have about the legal process. An experienced Edwardsville, IL car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Edwardsville, IL car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable guidance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Edwardsville, IL, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Edwardsville, IL include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Edwardsville, IL? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving great legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Edwardsville, IL injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.