Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Edwardsville, IL
Edwardsville, IL Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Edwardsville, IL Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Edwardsville, IL. Riding a bicycle can imbue a wonderful sense of freedom. But too often, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We offer expert legal representation the injured and vulnerable in Edwardsville, IL and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Edwardsville, IL Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic accidents in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle wrecks 1,995 people were injured and 28 people passed away.
Across the U.S., urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes occur at night, when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for over twice that in traffice-related deaths. The deviation points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Edwardsville, IL?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver negligence or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents between intersections cause more significant injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Edwardsville, IL bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Edwardsville, IL Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Edwardsville, IL residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because of the severity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need skilled and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Edwardsville, IL area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Edwardsville, IL?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that led to your case. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and make each of them compensate you based on how much of the accident was their fault. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any passenger car, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone injures you because they were texting and driving, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. Following the legal practice of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a law. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Faulty or Car Parts
If your accident was because of a defective product, such as brakes, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they are negligent in that duty, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than regulations allow, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Entity
Municipal agencies at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Edwardsville, IL roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole caused your accident, your Edwardsville, IL bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own regulations for maintaining safe roads. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so an attorney is vital for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who injure somebody while driving within the course of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Edwardsville, IL Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic loss and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — More significant injuries lead to higher medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Edwardsville, IL bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it a grind just to bring the groceries in? An accomplished and knowledgeable Edwardsville, IL bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Edwardsville, IL and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially to blame, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if you are more than 50 percent responsible.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Edwardsville, IL bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your injuries. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We do what we do every day because we believe that everyone has should have access to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Edwardsville, IL:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Edwardsville, IL | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Edwardsville, IL lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their lives to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they recover the full compensation they are entitled to. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Edwardsville, IL today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.