Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Edwardsville, IL
Edwardsville, IL Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Edwardsville, IL Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Edwardsville, IL. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too often, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to the injured and vulnerable in Edwardsville, IL and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an accomplished and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Edwardsville, IL?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Edwardsville, IL to secure the optimal outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Edwardsville, IL can give support in a range of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are legally entitled to
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages surpass the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law honestly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless claims adjuster can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid accepting that responsibility.
Insurance companies often depend on claimants knowing scant about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to pay as little money as achievable. We'll make sure they understand their legal duty to reimburse you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complicated legal processes, including collecting evidence, interviewing witnesses, analyzing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make errors or neglect important details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a weakness.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle obtaining your compensation while you focus on getting better.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more difficult to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to question witnesses, analyze medical records, and establish a connection your injuries to your accident, as well as interview witnesses who can corroborate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more proof is needed. Skilled bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to find the evidence needed to get maximum compensation.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if fault isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned personal injury lawyers in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced Edwardsville, IL trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side for the duration of your case, from our first case evaluation through a jury verdict.
Edwardsville, IL Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in traffic accidents across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle collisions 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
Nationawide, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes transpire at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American travelers and commuters, annually they account for over two percent of motor vehicle fatalities. The disparity points to the horrible damage drivers can do when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Edwardsville, IL?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist just did not see a bicyclist. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents between intersections cause more serious injuries because of the higher speeds involved. Your Edwardsville, IL bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a thorough investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Edwardsville, IL Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be disastrous and even sometimes result in permanent disability. We've helped secure the best possible financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because of the seriousness of the bicycle accident injuries, you need knowledgeable and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Edwardsville, IL area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Edwardsville, IL?
Who is responsible depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your accident. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and make each of them compensate you based on how much of the accident was their fault. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But have the same right to the road as the driver of any passenger car, and if you are injured by a motorist the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were distracted by using their phone, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as yielding to bicyclist when turning. Following the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you wee injured because a driver passed too closely, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Motor Vehicle Component
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as steering systems, you can make a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety hazard is found. If they are negligent in that duty, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be responsible for a percentage of your financial recovery.
A Government Agency
Governmental agencies at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Edwardsville, IL roadways. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections played a part in your injuries, your Edwardsville, IL bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so an attorney is necessary for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Edwardsville, IL Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More significant injuries lead to higher medical expenses, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Was the accident severe enough to require a joint replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Edwardsville, IL bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Are you afraid to get back on your bike? An experienced and skilled Edwardsville, IL bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Edwardsville, IL and now are not able to safely lift over 35 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been severely compromised. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises may have up to $5 million in coverage. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Edwardsville, IL bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We do what we do every day because we believe that everyone has should have access to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Edwardsville, IL
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and confusing, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Seek Medical Treatment
If you're able to, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could make your injuries worse. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, visit the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you it's safe to leave the scene. If you didn't go on the same day, see your general practitioner as soon as you can. If you don't have records from a physician of your injuries, you won't be able to get compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in demonstrating how the other drive caused your injuries. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When talking to police, don't confess fault or over-embellish your actions. Be truthful, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't provide any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident location, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can contact them afterwards.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an unfairly low offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost never true. The majority of injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always worth it to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Edwardsville, IL:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Edwardsville, IL | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is confusing, infuriating and leads to a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Edwardsville, IL lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their practice to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive all the money they are entitled to. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Edwardsville, IL today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.