What to Do After a Car Accident in Fulton, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Fulton, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Fulton, MO. Car accidents are all too common in today's world. They happen without any notice, and can cause ruinous physical, emotional and financial burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, it's important to know what to do next to get the full and fair financial recovery you're legally entitled to. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Fulton, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our practice to ensuring that those injured in Fulton, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that large corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a free consultation.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Fulton, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be staggering. However, it's crucial to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel immediately and give first aid if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, move your car to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri law and Illinois law make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of calling the police isn't to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report will be vital for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about your actions.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Fulton, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Fulton, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the financial recovery you deserve. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt through no fault of your own, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you navigate the injury claim process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in asking us to look over your case, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a traumatic occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following the above steps, you can help protect your economic well-being as it relates to the accident. If the insurance company won't be fair, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Fulton, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Fulton, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries require ongoing treatment, you'll likely need a lawyer to make the insurance company be fair. A lawyer can help you understand the legal process, ensure you get fair compensation and defend your rights.
There are numerous circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Fulton, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If there is disagreement over who caused accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The other insurance company will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can help you navigate the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a family member passed away as a result of the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Fulton, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Fulton, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will stand by your side and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Fulton, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and obtain other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the full value of your claim to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Fulton, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced Fulton, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Fulton, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial aid after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Fulton, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Fulton, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Fulton, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving high-quality legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Fulton, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.