Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Fulton, MO
Fulton, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Fulton, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Fulton, MO. Riding a bicycle can inspire a wonderful sense of freedom. But too frequently, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything that you were supposed to, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Fulton, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a qualified and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Fulton, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in auto accidents in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which resulted in 351 injuries and six deaths, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, which resulted in 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Almost a third of bike crashes transpire at night, when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, annually they account for over twice that in motor vehicle fatalities. The deviation points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Fulton, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist just did not see a bicyclist. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently marked construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that "midblock" accidents do more damage because of the higher speeds involved. Your Fulton, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a thorough investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Fulton, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Fulton, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need experienced and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Fulton, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Fulton, MO?
Who is responsible depends on the the different aspects that led to your injuries. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is to blame, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But the road is for everyone, and if you are injured by a motorist the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone injures you because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as allowing at least three feet of space when passing. Under the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car or Truck Parts
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they are negligent in that duty, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Municipal entities at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Fulton, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections caused your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Fulton, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Fulton, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic loss and other factors:
- The extent of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Fulton, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional health — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? An experienced and talented Fulton, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a construction worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Fulton, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 50 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure your future is secure.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies usually have much more. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially to blame, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Fulton, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence has a right to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Fulton, MO:
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Fulton, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Fulton, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their careers to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they get the full compensation they are entitled to. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Fulton, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.