Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Fulton, MO
Fulton, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Fulton, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Fulton, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for the mind and body. But on too many occasions, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We offer expert legal representation clients in Fulton, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an accomplished and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Fulton, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Fulton, MO to ensure the best possible result. A personal injury lawyer in Fulton, MO can offer help in a multitude of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding supplementary insurance coverage if your damages exceed the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law truthfully and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance representative can feel defeating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often count on claimants knowing very little about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to pay as little money as feasible. We'll ensure they understand their lawful duty to reimburse you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complex legal processes, including gathering evidence, deposing witnesses, analyzing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make mistakes or overlook important steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a asset, not a vulnerability.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on healing.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more difficult to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to question witnesses, review medical records, and establish a connection your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can validate your story. The more complicated your case, the more proof is needed. Knowledgeable bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to locate the evidence needed to win your claim.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if fault isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to fight against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to file a lawsuit and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced Fulton, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from our first case evaluation through a jury verdict.
Fulton, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in traffic wrecks in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which resulted in 351 injuries and six deaths, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, which resulted in 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Across the U.S., the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Over three-tenths of bike crashes happen at night, when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, annually they account for more than twice that in traffic accident deaths. The deviation points to the terrible destruction people can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Fulton, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Inadequately cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that "midblock" accidents are more severe because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Fulton, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Fulton, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be disastrous and even sometimes result in permanent consequences. We've helped secure great compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the gravity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need experienced and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Fulton, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Fulton, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that caused your injuries. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as an operator of any other vehicle, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone hits you because they were texting and driving, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. Pursuant to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you wee injured because a driver passed too closely, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will be more accommodating in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Motor Vehicle Parts
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as steering systems, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than regulations allow, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Agency
Municipal entities at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Fulton, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting played a part in your accident, your Fulton, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so an attorney is imperative to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Fulton, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More serious injuries lead to higher medical expenses, which you will be compensated for. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a a visit or two with your primary care physician. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Fulton, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it a grind just to bring the groceries in? An accomplished and talented Fulton, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't work because you were on bed rest for six weeks, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who suffered a back injury in a bicycle accident in Fulton, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been severely compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal philosophy of comparative fault, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you were partially to blame, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent to blame.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Fulton, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We do what we do every day because we believe that everyone has should be able to lean on the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Fulton, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and confusing, but there are several things you should do to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Get Medical Treatment
If you can, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, wait for emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, visit the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you you are free to leave the scene. If you didn't go on the same day, make an appointment with your general practitioner in the days afterward. If you don't have a doctor's record of your injuries, you won't be able to get compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing how the other drive caused your injuries. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When talking to police, don't acknowledge fault or over-explain what happened. Be honest, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't provide any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident location, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can reach out to them at a later time.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you realize the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost hardly ever true. The majority of injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always recommended to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
See some of the other cases we take on in Fulton, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Fulton, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Fulton, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their practice to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they get the full compensation they are owed. You only pay if we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Fulton, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.