What to Do After a Car Accident in Ste Genevieve, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Ste Genevieve, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Ste Genevieve, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of modern society. They can happen to anyone, at any time, and can cause considerable physical, mental and financial hardships. If you find yourself in a car accident, it's important to know what to do next to get the full and fair compensation you're owed. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Ste Genevieve, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our careers to ensuring everyday people in Ste Genevieve, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
In the Moments Right After Your Car Accident in Ste Genevieve, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's crucial to keep your wits about you and take the steps outlined below:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call for emergency personnel immediately and render aid if you are able.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of calling the police isn't to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to assign blame in a car accident. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Take photos — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about what you did leading up the crash.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Ste Genevieve, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Ste Genevieve, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your legal rights. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't say anything before you speak with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt in the accident, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in asking us to look over your case, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe you are entitled to much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be an overwhelming experience, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your future. If you need further assistance, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Ste Genevieve, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Ste Genevieve, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are severe, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you receive the best possible compensation and defend your future.
There are many circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Ste Genevieve, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver refuses to accept responsibility, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love passed away in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Ste Genevieve, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The only way to really know if you need a lawyer is to consult with one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Ste Genevieve, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will be your legal advocate and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Ste Genevieve, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and obtain other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can determine the extent of all your damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Ste Genevieve, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the legal process. An experienced Ste Genevieve, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Ste Genevieve, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable guidance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Ste Genevieve, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Ste Genevieve, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Ste Genevieve, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving great legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Ste Genevieve, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.