Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Ste Genevieve, MO
Ste Genevieve, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Ste Genevieve, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Ste Genevieve, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for the mind and body. But on too many occasions, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to stand by your side. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Ste Genevieve, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an accomplished and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Ste Genevieve, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle crashes in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people died, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which lead to 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
Nationawide, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for over twice that in traffice-related fatalities. The deviation points to the terrible destruction motorists can do when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Ste Genevieve, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver negligence or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically leads to bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents on the side of the road are more severe because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Ste Genevieve, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a comprehensive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Ste Genevieve, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Ste Genevieve, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need knowledgeable and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Ste Genevieve, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Ste Genevieve, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the specifics of your case. Each accident is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any other vehicle, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone hits you because they were driving under the influence, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Under the legal theory of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a state statute. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Motor Vehicle Component
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as steering systems, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue is found. If they are negligent in that duty, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Municipal entities at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Ste Genevieve, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting contributed to your accident, your Ste Genevieve, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who cause an accident while driving within the scope of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Ste Genevieve, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic damages and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical expenses, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Surgeries will lead to more money than a a visit or two with your primary care doctor. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Ste Genevieve, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional health — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the physical and emotional distress caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it a grind just to bring the groceries in? An accomplished and skilled Ste Genevieve, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because you were on bed rest for six weeks, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Ste Genevieve, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent liable.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Ste Genevieve, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your injuries. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence has a right to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Ste Genevieve, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Ste Genevieve, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is shocking, painful and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Ste Genevieve, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their practice to standing up for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they recover the full compensation they are entitled to. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Ste Genevieve, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.