Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Ste Genevieve, MO
Ste Genevieve, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Ste Genevieve, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Ste Genevieve, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for the mind and body. But too often, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We serve clients in Ste Genevieve, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an accomplished and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Ste Genevieve, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Ste Genevieve, MO to secure the optimal outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Ste Genevieve, MO can provide assistance in a variety of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you increase your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding extra insurance coverage if your damages exceed the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law honestly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless insurance representative can feel defeating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do anything they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often depend on claimants knowing scant about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to provide as few money as achievable. We'll ensure they understand their lawful responsibility to compensate you for every single one of your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including collecting evidence, interviewing people who saw the accident, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make mistakes or neglect critical steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a vulnerability.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on getting better.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more complex to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interrogate witnesses, review medical records, and link your injuries to your accident, as well as depose witnesses who can validate your story. The more complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Skilled bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to find the evidence needed to get maximum compensation.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if liability isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to file a lawsuit and take them to court if necessary.
As experienced Ste Genevieve, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from our first consultation through a jury or bench trial.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Ste Genevieve, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic crashes across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which resulted in 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle collisions 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
Across the U.S., urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes happen at night, when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for over twice that in traffice-related deaths. The disparity points to the horrible damage motorists can do when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Ste Genevieve, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist merely was not paying attention. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically causes bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Improperly cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents on the side of the road cause more severe injuries because of the higher speeds involved. Your Ste Genevieve, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Ste Genevieve, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in permanent consequences. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Ste Genevieve, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need skilled and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Ste Genevieve, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Ste Genevieve, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your injuries. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But the road is for everyone, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone hits you because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. According to the legal theory of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a state statute. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will be more accommodating in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car or Truck Parts
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as headlights, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they fail to, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be responsible for a percentage of your financial recovery.
A Government Agency
Governmental entities at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Ste Genevieve, MO roadways. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting contributed to your injuries, your Ste Genevieve, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own regulations for maintaining safe roads. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so an attorney is vital for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My Ste Genevieve, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that determine what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The extent of your injuries — More serious injuries lead to higher medical costs, which you will be compensated for. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to much higher compensation than a a visit or two with your primary care physician. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Ste Genevieve, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? A seasoned and talented Ste Genevieve, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a back injury in a bicycle accident in Ste Genevieve, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies usually have much more. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. So if it is determined that your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering come to $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Ste Genevieve, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence has a right to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Ste Genevieve, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be frightening and confusing, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Get Medical Treatment
If you can, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could make your injuries worse. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, wait for emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, visit the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you you can leave the scene. If you didn't go immediately, make an appointment with your general practitioner as soon as you can. If you don't have a doctor's record of your injuries, you won't be able to obtain compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in proving how the other drive caused the accident. Police are trained to determine fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't acknowledge fault or over-embellish what happened. Be truthful, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't give any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident site, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can get in touch with them at a later time.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost hardly ever true. Many injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always recommended to consult with a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Ste Genevieve, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Ste Genevieve, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Ste Genevieve, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their profession to fighting for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive all the money they are owed. You do not pay unless we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Ste Genevieve, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.