What to Do After a Car Accident in Bowling Green, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Bowling Green, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Bowling Green, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of modern society. They are always unanticipated, and can cause significant physical, emotional and financial burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, it's important to know what to do next to get the full and fair financial recovery you're owed. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Bowling Green, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our careers to ensuring everyday people in Bowling Green, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal representation that large corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Bowling Green, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's imperative to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel right away and render aid if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Don't leave the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri law and Illinois law make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Take pictures — Get photos of both vehicles, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Bowling Green, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Bowling Green, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident scene, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your future. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to at least get looked over by a medical professional. Certain injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt by a negligent driver, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you navigate the legal process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe you are owed much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be an overwhelming occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect yourself. If the insurance company won't be fair, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Bowling Green, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Bowling Green, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you receive full compensation and protect your rights.
There are several circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Bowling Green, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver refuses to accept responsibility, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one died in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Bowling Green, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Bowling Green, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will fight on your behalf and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Bowling Green, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and acquire other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company for you ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the full value of your claim to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Bowling Green, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and convince the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the legal process. An experienced Bowling Green, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Bowling Green, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can spend your energy on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable assistance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Bowling Green, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Bowling Green, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Bowling Green, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving great legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Bowling Green, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.