Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Bowling Green, MO
Bowling Green, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Bowling Green, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Bowling Green, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too frequently, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We serve clients in Bowling Green, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Bowling Green, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle accidents in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which caused 351 injuries and six deaths, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, which lead to 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both states, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Almost a third of bike crashes occur between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for over two percent of traffice-related deaths. The discrepancy speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Bowling Green, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist simply did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently marked construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents between intersections do more damage because of the higher speeds involved. Your Bowling Green, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Bowling Green, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Bowling Green, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need knowledgeable and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Bowling Green, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who is At Fault for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Bowling Green, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the specifics of your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is liable, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. You may be able to seek compensation from:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But the road is for everyone, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone hits you because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as not driving or parking in a bike lane. Pursuant to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a state statute. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will be more accommodating in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car Parts
If your result was because of a defective product, such as headlights, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they don't, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to report drug tests, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Agency
Governmental agencies at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Bowling Green, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as a pothole played a part in your injuries, your Bowling Green, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own rules for maintaining safe roads. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is crucial to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
What Are My Bowling Green, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are a variety of factors that determine what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More significant injuries lead to higher medical bills, and you should receive all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Was the accident severe enough to require a joint replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Bowling Green, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Does your wrist spasm when you try to play the guitar? An experienced and talented Bowling Green, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a construction worker who sustained a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Bowling Green, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure your future is comfortable.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal philosophy of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Bowling Green, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should have access to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Bowling Green, MO:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Bowling Green, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Bowling Green, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their careers to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they recover the full compensation they are owed. You only pay if we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Bowling Green, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.