Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Bowling Green, MO
Bowling Green, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Bowling Green, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Bowling Green, MO. Riding a bicycle can inspire a wonderful sense of freedom. But too frequently, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We serve clients in Bowling Green, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Bowling Green, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Bowling Green, MO to guarantee the ideal result. A personal injury lawyer in Bowling Green, MO can give support in a range of ways:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you optimize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding supplementary insurance coverage if your damages exceed the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law honestly and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate claims adjuster can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid accepting that responsibility.
Insurance companies often count on claimants knowing very little about injury and accident law to pay as minimal money as achievable. We'll guarantee they understand their legal responsibility to compensate you for every single one of your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including acquiring evidence, deposing witnesses, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make mistakes or miss critical details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a disadvantage.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle obtaining your compensation while you focus on getting better.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more complex to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interrogate witnesses, review medical records, and link your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can corroborate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Skilled bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to discover the evidence needed to win your claim.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if responsibility isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to contest against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and take them to court if necessary.
As experienced Bowling Green, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from initial case review through a jury or bench trial.
Bowling Green, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in auto accidents in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people died, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which lead to 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Nationawide, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes occur at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, annually they account for more than twice that in motor vehicle fatalities. The disparity speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Bowling Green, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist simply did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents on the side of the road do more damage because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Bowling Green, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Bowling Green, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Bowling Green, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the gravity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need accomplished and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Bowling Green, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is Responsible for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Bowling Green, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that caused your injuries. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is to blame, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But the road is for everyone, and in the event of an accident the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were driving under the influence, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as not driving or parking in a bike lane. Following the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a law. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Faulty or Motor Vehicle Component
If your result was because of a defective product, such as steering systems, you can seek a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue comes to light. If they are negligent in that duty, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be responsible for a portion of your compensation.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Bowling Green, MO roadways. If a hazard such as uneven pavement caused your accident, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Bowling Green, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is imperative for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Bowling Green, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to more money than a a visit or two with your primary care physician. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Bowling Green, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the physical and emotional burdens caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? A seasoned and skilled Bowling Green, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Bowling Green, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 25 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal philosophy of comparative fault, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially liable, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent to blame.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Bowling Green, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your injuries. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We do what we do every day because we believe that everyone has should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Bowling Green, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and confusing, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Seek Medical Treatment
If you can, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could make your injuries worse. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, hold out for emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after authorities tell you it's safe to leave the scene. If you didn't go on the same day, make an appointment with your general practitioner in the days afterward. If you don't have medical documentation of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in demonstrating the other party's liability. Police are trained to assign fault in an accident. When talking to police, don't acknowledge fault or over-explain what happened. Be truthful, but don't say anything beyond the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't provide any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can contact them afterwards.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you realize the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost hardly ever true. Most injury attorneys offer free consultations, so it's always worth it to consult with a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Bowling Green, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Bowling Green, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Bowling Green, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their careers to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive all the money they deserve. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Bowling Green, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.