Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Shrewsbury, MO
Shrewsbury, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Shrewsbury, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Shrewsbury, MO. Riding a bicycle can inspire a wonderful sense of freedom. But on too many occasions, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We offer expert legal representation clients in Shrewsbury, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Shrewsbury, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in auto wrecks in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which caused 351 injuries and six deaths, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle wrecks 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
Nationawide, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Over three-tenths of bike crashes happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American travelers and commuters, each year they account for more than two percent of motor vehicle fatalities. The discrepancy speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Shrewsbury, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist merely did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently marked construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that "midblock" accidents are more severe because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Shrewsbury, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Shrewsbury, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in permanent consequences. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Shrewsbury, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because of the seriousness of the bicycle accident injuries, you need skilled and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Shrewsbury, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Shrewsbury, MO?
Who is responsible depends on the the different aspects that caused your injuries. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But the road is for everyone, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were driving drunk, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Pursuant to the legal theory of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more honest in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Car Component
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue arises. If they are negligent in that duty, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than the law permits, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Shrewsbury, MO roadways. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting played a part in your injuries, your Shrewsbury, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
What Are My Shrewsbury, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic damages and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Shrewsbury, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? An accomplished and skilled Shrewsbury, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a construction worker who sustained a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Shrewsbury, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 25 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure your future is comfortable.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Shrewsbury, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your damages. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence has a right to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Shrewsbury, MO:
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Shrewsbury, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Shrewsbury, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their abilities to fighting for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they get all the money they deserve. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Shrewsbury, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.