Wrongful Death Attorneys in Lake St. Louis, MO
Call for a Consultation and Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Lake St. Louis, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our firm knows that the loss of a loved one or family member is difficult. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death attorneys in Lake St. Louis, MO, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages after an unexpected death. This includes vehicular accidents, medical malpractice, work-related incidents, falls, and others. Families may be able to receive compensation for their loss. Contact our Lake St. Louis, MO, wrongful death attorneys now for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
"Who can sue" is a common question from clients. The answer varies on which state the victim died and many other factors. In general, the following survivors are usually able to sue for wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support and care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are an average of 170,000 unintentional deaths each year in the U.S. If you're financially dependent on someone who dies, it is important to contact a wrongful death lawyer in Lake St. Louis, MO, as soon as you can. Losing income, childcare, and other support can cause serious harm and financial stress. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these sorts of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can Be Sued for Wrongful Death?
There's a number of liable parties depending on the case. Each state has different laws on this, of course. In general, survivors have been potentially victimized by whichever parties are at fault. This can include a driver and that driver's employer, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, a government agency, manufacturers and distributors, a property owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on factors like how the accident happened, where it occurred, and who is liable. It's important to contact an experienced Lake St. Louis, MO, wrongful death attorney that will assess the case and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes may range from dying in a train accident to a construction platform falling on someone. There's no way to know. A few of the more common causes include:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths each year in the United States.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve anesthesia errors, birth injuries, defective equipment, and nursing home neglect.
- On-the-job accidents often involve machinery malfunctions, chemical exposure, and burns.
- Product liability is an umbrella statement for dangerous products, malfunctioning parts (car brakes, flaws, etc.), and inherent design problems or warning systems.
What Damages Can You Recover for Wrongful Death?
Economic damages can include any loss of financial earnings, lost benefits, any loss of inheritance, and even the value of goods a victim would have provided if they didn't die. You can also include medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions such as pain and suffering, loss of consortium or love, guidance, and nurturing can all factor in. Some states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Your Lake St. Louis, MO, wrongful death lawyers will calculate these damages and ensure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state the accident occurred in. The general rule is you should pursue a case within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer
There are a few things you should look for when you hire a lawyer to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you're contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to manage your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Many firms should be able to provide you with case results and reviews.
- How much does it cost for your services? Lawyer fees are an obvious concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Attorney in Lake St. Louis, MO, Now
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote today for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case consultation. Our Lake St. Louis, MO, wrongful death lawyers handle a variety of other cases as well, including:
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
- Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Attorneys
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
Our attorneys would be more than happy to discuss your case. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our case results here.
No matter the cause of death, it's essential to contact a local wrongful death lawyers in Lake St. Louis, MO, right away if there are financial damages. Legal assistance doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don't win your case you don't owe us anything and there aren't any upfront fees. Our Lake St. Louis, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to win.