Edwardsville, IL, Wrongful Death Lawyers
Call (877) 514-5529 for a Consultation and Case Review.
Wrongful Death Lawyer Edwardsville, IL. Halvorsen Klote represents personal injury victims in the greater St. Louis area. Losing a family member or spouse can be emotionally and financially devastating. Our firm helps survivors get the compensation they deserve. Contact one of our Edwardsville, IL, wrongful death lawyers now if you are trying to start a case. We have recovered millions for victims and their families and will fight for you to do the same.
Do I Have a Case?
If the unthinkable happens to a friend or family member, you may have a wrongful death case. Looking for compensation is not a selfish act. The key component of a wrongful death claim is that there was a preventable accident, or negligence, caused by a third party.
Various people can start a wrongful death claim. This includes the following:
- Financial dependents of the victim
- Immediate family members, partners
- Extended family
Damages both general and special may come into play. For example, any medical expenses, burial fees, pain and suffering, overall distress, and other financial problems brought on by the loss of a family member.
The Edwardsville, IL, wrongful death lawyers at HK Law know the weight behind a loss, and how that might have financial concerns for surviving friends and family. Do not hesitate to contact HK Law if you think you have a wrongful death case in Edwardsville, IL.
Wrongful Death Cases
More than 200,000 people are killed by wrongful death accidents every year. Regarding wrongful death of a partner or family member, changes can be more dramatic than a typical injury. Below, we've listed a few of the more common types of wrongful death cases, whether by negligence or not:
- Vehicle Accidents: Fatalities are high in major car and truck crashes. Leading causes include speeding, construction zones, driving under the influence, and texting.
- Medical Malpractice: A large portion of wrongful death lawsuits near Edwardsville, IL, involve medical malpractice. A patient may be misdiagnosed, equipment can fail, or there is an error during surgery.
- Work Accidents: Company negligence can include faulty equipment, lapses in training, explosions, fires, and related accidents.
- Criminal Acts: If a criminal act leads to a death, you might have a wrongful death case. It's important to contact a wrongful death lawyer in Edwardsville, IL, today if you've lost a family member due to criminal behavior.
Do You Need Legal Representation in Edwardsville, IL?
A common question is "Do I actually need a lawyer?" The answer is: It depends. There's not much an attorney can do for you unless there are notable damages. This includes multiple hospital visits, lost time from work, loss of enjoyment, and others. At Halvorsen Klote, our wrongful death lawyers will help you determine if you have a case that needs attention.
The Edwardsville, IL, injury lawyers at Halvorsen Klote specialize in a number of types of cases. It's our mission to help injury victims get the compensation they deserve.
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
What Damages Can Be Recovered in a Wrongful Death Case?
It is our responsibility to make sure clients receive fair compensation in the event of a wrongful death. Our Edwardsville, IL, wrongful death lawyers will look at financial damages, punitive measures, and other factors. The two main types of compensation include:
- Special Damages: Special or "economic" damages often include any loss of financial earnings, loss of benefits, loss of inheritance, and even the value of goods a victim would have provided if they weren't injured. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. Any economic impact can be considered special damages, which is another reason why it's important to keep track of financial repercussions.
- General Damages: More difficult to define, general damages are as important for victims to consider. Our Edwardsville, IL, injury attorneys consider pain and suffering, emotional trauma, loss of enjoyment, and other long-lasting concerns post-injury. It's advisable to keep a journal that documents your current situation to justify general damages.
Damages are are dependent on the state you are in. If you're wanting to recover reimbursement for your loss, our firm will look into medical expenses, loss of opportunity, any other financial factors.
No matter what the cause, an experienced attorney can help you win the compensation you deserve. Our wrongful death lawyers in Edwardsville, IL, fight to win for every one of our clients. Contact us now for a case review or if you have any questions about winning a wrongful death case.
As you may notice, pain, grief, and sorrow can all be considered alongside loss of income and other damages. Some states allow you to claim punitive damages as well.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer
There are a few things you should look for when you hire a lawyer to represent your case. Below are a couple of questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you're contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to manage your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Any firm should be able to provide you with client testimonials and results.
- How much does your firm charge? Lawyer fees are an obvious concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client). If we don't win, you don't pay.
At the end of the day, find a firm like HK Law today to speak to an experienced wrongful death lawyer in Edwardsville, IL. It's our job to help you recover damages. Feel free to one of our experienced attorneys by contacting us today. Our Edwardsville, IL, wrongful death lawyers are here to help.
Our lawyers would be more than happy to speak with you. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our testimonials here.