Wrongful Death Attorneys in Clayton, MO
Call for a Consultation and Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Clayton, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our firm understands that losing a loved one or family member is difficult and tragic. As experienced injury and wrongful death attorneys in Clayton, MO, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages in the case of an unexpected death. This includes car and truck crashes, falls, work-related incidents, medical malpractice, and others. Families may be able to receive compensation for their loss. Contact Halvorsen Klote's Clayton, MO, wrongful death attorneys now for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. This depends on the state the victim is in and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors are usually able to sue for wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support or care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are more than 170,000 unintentional deaths each year in the U.S. If you are a dependent of another person who dies, it's important to contact a wrongful death attorney in Clayton, MO, as soon as possible. Losing income, childcare, and other support may cause major harm and financial stress. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these sorts of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a number of liable parties depending on the case. The law varies based on which state the death occurs. In general, survivors have been potentially wronged by whichever parties are at fault. This includes a driver and that driver's employer, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, a government agency, manufacturers and distributors, a property owner, and others.
Who's at fault depends on where the accident happened, any liability coverage, and other factors. It is important to reach out to an experienced Clayton, MO, wrongful death attorney that will assess the case and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes may range from dying in a train accident to a construction platform falling on someone. There's no way to know. A few of the more common causes include the following:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths each year in the United States.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve defective medical equipment, anesthesia and surgical errors, and prescribing the wrong kind of medication.
- Workplace accidents usually include machinery malfunctions, chemical exposure, and burns.
- Product liability is an umbrella statement for dangerous products, malfunctioning parts (car brakes, flaws, etc.), and inherent design problems or warning systems.
Damages for Wrongful Death
Economic damages can include lost wages, lost benefits, any loss of inheritance, and any goods and services the survivor may have contributed in the future. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages are more complicated. Non-economic repercussions such as emotional distress, loss of guidance or training, pain and suffering, and loss of love can all factor in. Certain states allow you to claim punitive damages for negligent acts.
Our Clayton, MO, wrongful death attorneys will calculate these damages and make sure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You also need to consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The rule of thumb is that you should file a claim within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for before you hire an attorney to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you work with? You need to know if you're contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to manage your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Many firms should be able to provide you with client reviews and testimonials.
- How much does your firm charge? Lawyer fees are a big concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Attorney in Clayton, MO, Today
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case review and consultation. Our Clayton, MO, wrongful death lawyers manage a variety of other cases too, including:
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer
- Personal Injury Lawyer
Our lawyers would be happy to discuss your case. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our case results here.
No matter the cause of death, it's crucial to contact a local wrongful death lawyers in Clayton, MO, as soon as possible if there are financial damages. Legal counsel doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our Clayton, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to win.