Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Clayton, MO
Clayton, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Clayton, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Clayton, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for the mind and body. But too frequently, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We offer expert legal representation clients in Clayton, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an experienced and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Clayton, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in motor vehicle accidents nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which lead to 351 injuries and six deaths, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle crashes 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
Across the U.S., the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Almost a third of bike crashes happen at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, annually they account for more than two percent of motor vehicle fatalities. The disparity points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Clayton, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist just did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically results in bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report found that "midblock" accidents are more severe because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Clayton, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a comprehensive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Clayton, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in lifelong consequences. We've helped secure great financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need experienced and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Clayton, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Clayton, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the specifics of your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is liable, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But the road is for everyone, and in the event of an accident the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as allowing at least three feet of space when passing. Following the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a state statute. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Faulty or Motor Vehicle Component
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as steering systems, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety hazard arises. If they don't, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than the law permits, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Municipal agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Clayton, MO roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole contributed to your accident, your Clayton, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own regulations for maintaining safe roads. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Clayton, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are numerous factors that determine what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The scope of your injuries — More significant injuries lead to higher medical costs, and you should receive all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Was the accident severe enough to require a knee replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Clayton, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Does your wrist spasm when you try to play the guitar? An accomplished and skilled Clayton, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Clayton, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 35 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal philosophy of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially at fault, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if it is determined that your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering come to $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Clayton, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your damages. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has should be able to depend on the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Clayton, MO:
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Clayton, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Clayton, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their abilities to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they get the full compensation they are owed. We charge no fees we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Clayton, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.