Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Clayton, MO
Clayton, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Clayton, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Clayton, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too often, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything that you were supposed to, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We serve clients in Clayton, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to a qualified and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Clayton, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Clayton, MO to guarantee the best possible result. A personal injury lawyer in Clayton, MO can provide assistance in a variety of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you optimize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding supplementary insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law fairly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance adjuster can feel defeating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do whatever it takes they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing very little about injury and accident law to provide as few money as feasible. We'll make sure they understand their lawful responsibility to compensate you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including acquiring evidence, interviewing witnesses, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make errors or miss important steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a advantage, not a vulnerability.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on getting better.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more complex to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interrogate witnesses, review medical records, and connect your injuries to your accident, as well as interview witnesses who can corroborate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more proof is needed. Knowledgeable bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to locate the evidence needed to win your claim.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if responsibility isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to fight against your rights. That's why you need seasoned injury attorneys in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and take them to court if necessary.
As experienced Clayton, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can fight for you for the duration of your case, from our first consultation through a jury verdict.
Clayton, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in auto accidents across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people died, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle collisions, which resulted in 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Nationawide, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Over three-tenths of bike crashes happen at night, when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for more than twice that in motor vehicle deaths. The discrepancy speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Clayton, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist merely was not paying attention. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically causes bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Inadequately zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents between intersections cause more significant injuries because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Clayton, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a comprehensive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Clayton, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in lifelong disability. We've helped secure maximum financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need experienced and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Clayton, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Clayton, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that led to your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is to blame, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. You may be able to seek compensation from:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But the road is for everyone, and if you are injured by a motorist the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone injures you because they were texting and driving, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as allowing at least three feet of space when passing. According to the legal practice of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Faulty or Car Parts
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as steering systems, you can seek a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue arises. If they fail to, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to report drug tests, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Clayton, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as a pothole caused your injuries, your Clayton, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own regulations for maintaining safe roads. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is necessary for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, according to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Clayton, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are a variety of factors that determine what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More serious injuries lead to higher medical expenses, which you will be compensated for. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Clayton, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the physical and emotional burdens caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Does your wrist lock when you try to play the guitar? A seasoned and skilled Clayton, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Clayton, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been severely compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Clayton, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Clayton, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and confusing, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Get Medical Treatment
If you can, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could exacerbate your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, go to the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you you are free to leave the scene. If you didn't go the same day, schedule a visit to your primary care physician as soon as you can. If you don't have records from a physician of your injuries, you won't be able to obtain compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing the other party's liability. Police are trained to assign fault in an accident. When talking to police, don't admit fault or over-embellish your actions. Be truthful, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't provide any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can contact them afterwards.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost rarely true. Many injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always worth it to consult with a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Clayton, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Clayton, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, painful and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Clayton, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their practice to fighting for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they get the full compensation they are owed. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Clayton, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.