Wrongful Death Attorneys in Linn, MO
Call for a Case Review and Consultation
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Linn, MO. Halvorsen Klote represents clients in the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our firm knows that the loss of a family member is difficult and tragic. As experienced injury and wrongful death attorneys in Linn, MO, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages in the case of an unexpected death. This includes car and truck crashes, falls, work-related incidents, medical malpractice, and others. Families may be able to receive compensation for their loss. Contact our Linn, MO, wrongful death attorneys today for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. This depends on which state the victim died and many other factors. In general, the following survivors are able to sue after a wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support or care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are an average of 170,000 unintentional deaths every year in the U.S. If you are a dependent of another person who has died, it's important to contact a wrongful death lawyer in Linn, MO, as soon as possible. Losing income, childcare, and other support may cause major harm and financial stress on any survivors. Halvorsen Klote has helped clients with these types of cases. Feel free to view our testimonials here.
Who Can Be Sued for Wrongful Death?
There's a number of liable parties depending on the case. The law varies based on which state the death occurs. In general, claimants have been potentially wronged by whichever parties are at fault. This can include a driving company's employer if you're in an auto accident, the contractor responsible for any roadwork, an employee, a government agency, manufacturers and distributors, a property owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on factors like how the accident happened, where it occurred, and who is liable. It's essential to reach out to an experienced Linn, MO, wrongful death attorney that will assess the case and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes can range from dying in a train accident to a construction platform falling on someone. There's no way to tell. A few of the more common causes include the following:
- Car and truck accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths every year in the U.S.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve defective medical equipment, anesthesia and surgical errors, and prescribing the wrong kind of medication.
- Workplace accidents often include machinery malfunctions, chemical exposure, and burns.
- Product liability is an umbrella statement for dangerous products, malfunctioning parts (car brakes, flaws, etc.), and inherent design problems or warning systems.
Damages for Wrongful Death
Economic damages may include any loss of financial earnings, loss of benefits, any loss of inheritance, and even the value of goods a victim would have provided if they didn't die. You can also include medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages that have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions like emotional distress, loss of guidance or training, pain and suffering, and loss of love can all factor in. Some states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Our Linn, MO, wrongful death attorneys will calculate these damages and ensure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The rule of thumb is that you should file a claim within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for when you hire a lawyer to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you work with? You need to know if you're contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to handle your case.
- What kind of experience do you have? Any firm should be able to provide you with client reviews and testimonials.
- How much does your firm charge? Lawyer fees are an obvious concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Linn, MO, Today
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. Call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case consultation. Our Linn, MO, wrongful death lawyers handle a variety of other cases too, including:
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer
- Personal Injury Lawyer
Our firm would be happy to speak with you. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our case results here.
No matter the cause of death, it is crucial to contact a local wrongful death lawyers in Linn, MO, as soon as possible if there are financial damages. Legal counsel doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our Linn, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to help.