Wrongful Death Attorneys in Glen Carbon, IL
Call for a Case Review and Consultation
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Glen Carbon, IL. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our team knows that the loss of a family member is tragic. As experienced injury and wrongful death attorneys in Glen Carbon, IL, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages in the case of an unexpected death. This includes vehicular accidents, medical malpractice, work-related incidents, falls, and others. Families may be able to recover compensation for their loss. Contact Halvorsen Klote's Glen Carbon, IL, wrongful death attorneys now for a case review and consultation.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. The answer depends on which state the victim died and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors are usually able to sue for wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support and care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are an average of 170,000 unintentional deaths every year in the U.S. If you are a dependent of someone who dies, it is essential to reach out to a wrongful death attorney in Glen Carbon, IL, as soon as you can. Losing income, childcare, and other support can cause serious harm and financial stress on any survivors. Halvorsen Klote has helped clients with these sorts of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can Be Sued for Wrongful Death?
There's a few liable parties depending on the incident. Each state has different laws on this, of course. In general, survivors have been potentially wronged by whichever parties are at fault. This can include a driver and that driver's employer, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, a government agency, manufacturers and distributors, a building owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on factors like how the accident happened, where it occurred, and who is liable. It's important to reach out to an experienced Glen Carbon, IL, wrongful death attorney that can assess the claim and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
A death in the family can cause emotional and financial stress to family members. The causes can range from a bad reaction to medication or a faulty piece of machinery. There's no way to know. A few of the more common causes include the following:
- Car and truck accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths each year in the U.S.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve anesthesia errors, birth injuries, defective equipment, and nursing home neglect.
- Workplace accidents often include machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability deaths can be caused due to equipment failure (faulty brakes on a car), lack of a warning systems, chemicals, and other dangerous products.
What Damages Can You Recover for Wrongful Death?
Economic damages often include any loss of financial earnings, lost benefits, any loss of inheritance, and even the value of goods a victim would have provided if they didn't die. You can also include medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages are more complicated. Non-economic repercussions such as emotional distress, loss of guidance or training, pain and suffering, and loss of love can all factor into play. Some states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Our Glen Carbon, IL, wrongful death attorneys will calculate these damages and ensure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The rule of thumb is that you should pursue a claim within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer
There are a few things you should look for before you hire an attorney to represent your case. Below are a couple of questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you work with? You need to know if you are contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to manage your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Any firm should be able to provide you with client reviews and testimonials.
- How much does it cost for your services? Lawyer fees are a big concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Glen Carbon, IL, Today
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case review and consultation. Our Glen Carbon, IL, wrongful death lawyers handle a variety of other cases as well, including:
- Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Attorneys
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Lawyer
Our lawyers would be more than happy to discuss your case. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our case results here.
No matter the cause of death, it's crucial to contact a local wrongful death lawyers in Glen Carbon, IL, right away if there are financial damages. Legal assistance doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don't win your case you don't owe us anything and there aren't any upfront fees. Our Glen Carbon, IL, wrongful death attorneys are here to win.