Wrongful Death Attorneys in O'Fallon, MO
Call for a Consultation and Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in O'Fallon, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our team knows that losing a loved one or family member is tragic. As experienced injury and wrongful death attorneys in O'Fallon, MO, Halvorsen Klote is here to help survivors recover any financial damages in the case of an unexpected death. This includes car and truck crashes, falls, work-related incidents, medical malpractice, and others. Families may be able to receive compensation for their loss. Contact our O'Fallon, MO, wrongful death attorneys today for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. This depends on the state the victim is in and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors are usually able to sue for wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support or care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are an average of 170,000 unintentional deaths every year in the U.S. If you're a dependent of another person who has died, it is important to reach out to a wrongful death attorney in O'Fallon, MO, as soon as you can. Losing income, childcare, and other support can cause serious harm and financial stress. Halvorsen Klote has helped clients with these types of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can Be Sued for Wrongful Death?
There's a number of liable parties depending on the case. Each state has different laws on this, of course. In general, survivors have been potentially victimized by whichever parties are at fault. This can include a driver and that driver's employer, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, government agencies, distributors or manufacturers, a building owner, and others.
Who's at fault depends on where the accident happened, any liability coverage, and other factors. It's important to contact an experienced O'Fallon, MO, wrongful death attorney that can assess the case and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes may range from a bad reaction to medication or a faulty piece of machinery. There's no way to know. A few of the more common causes include the following:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths each year in the United States.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve anesthesia errors, birth injuries, defective equipment, and nursing home neglect.
- Workplace accidents often involve machinery malfunctions, chemical exposure, and burns.
- Product liability is an umbrella statement for dangerous products, malfunctioning parts (car brakes, flaws, etc.), and inherent design problems or warning systems.
Damages for Wrongful Death
Economic damages often include lost wages, lost benefits, any loss of inheritance, and even the value of goods a victim would have provided if they didn't die. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages that have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions such as pain and suffering, loss of consortium or love, guidance, and nurturing can all factor into play. Certain states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Your O'Fallon, MO, wrongful death attorneys will calculate these damages and make sure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state the accident occurred in. The rule of thumb is that you should pursue a case within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer
There are a few things you should look for before you hire an attorney to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you work with? You need to know if you're contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to handle your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Many firms should be able to provide you with client reviews and testimonials.
- How much does your firm charge? Lawyer fees are a big concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Lawyer in O'Fallon, MO, Now
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote today for a consultation. Call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case consultation. Our O'Fallon, MO, wrongful death lawyers handle a number of other cases too, including:
- Truck Accident Attorneys
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer
Our lawyers would be happy to discuss your case. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our testimonials here.
No matter the cause of death, it is essential to contact our local wrongful death lawyers in O'Fallon, MO, as soon as possible if there are financial damages. Legal counsel doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don't win your case you don't owe us anything and there aren't any upfront fees. Our O'Fallon, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to help.