Wrongful Death Attorneys in Des Peres, MO
Call for a Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Des Peres, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our team understands that losing a loved one is difficult and tragic. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death attorneys in Des Peres, MO, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages after an unexpected death. This includes car and truck crashes, falls, work-related incidents, medical malpractice, and others. Families may be able to recover compensation for their loss. Contact our Des Peres, MO, wrongful death attorneys now for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. The answer depends on the state the victim is in and many other factors. In general, the following survivors are usually able to sue for wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support or care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are an average of 170,000 unintentional deaths every year in the U.S. If you're financially dependent on someone who dies, it is crucial to reach out to a wrongful death lawyer in Des Peres, MO, as soon as possible. Losing income, childcare, and other support can cause major harm and financial stress. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these types of cases. Feel free to view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a number of liable parties depending on the incident. The law varies based on which state the death occurs. In general, claimants have been potentially victimized by whichever parties are at fault. This can include a driving company's employer if you're in an auto accident, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, government agencies, manufacturers and distributors, a building owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on factors like how the accident happened, where it occurred, and who is liable. It's important to reach out to an experienced Des Peres, MO, wrongful death attorney that will assess the claim and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
A death in the family can cause emotional and financial stress to family members. The causes may range from dying in a train accident to a construction platform falling on someone. There's no way to tell. A few of the more common causes include:
- Car and truck accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths each year in the U.S.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve anesthesia errors, birth injuries, defective equipment, and nursing home neglect.
- Workplace accidents often involve machinery malfunctions, chemical exposure, and burns.
- Product liability deaths can be caused due to equipment failure (faulty brakes on a car), lack of a warning systems, chemicals, and other dangerous products.
Damages for Wrongful Death
Economic damages may include lost wages, loss of benefits, any loss of inheritance, and even the value of goods a victim would have provided if they didn't die. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages that have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions such as pain and suffering, loss of consortium or love, guidance, and nurturing can all factor into play. Some states allow you to claim punitive damages for negligent acts.
Your Des Peres, MO, wrongful death lawyers will calculate these damages and ensure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The rule of thumb is that you should pursue a claim within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for when you hire a lawyer to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you are contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to manage your case.
- What kind of experience do you have? Any firm should be able to provide you with case results and reviews.
- How much does it cost for your services? Lawyer fees are an obvious concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Reach Out To a Wrongful Death Attorney in Des Peres, MO, Today
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote today for a consultation. Call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case review and consultation. Our Des Peres, MO, wrongful death attorneys manage a number of other cases too, including:
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer
- Personal Injury Lawyer
Our lawyers would be more than happy to discuss your case. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our testimonials here.
No matter the cause of death, it's crucial to contact a local wrongful death lawyers in Des Peres, MO, as soon as possible if there are financial damages. Legal counsel doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don't win your case you don't owe us anything and there aren't any upfront fees. Our Des Peres, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to help.