Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Des Peres, MO
Des Peres, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Des Peres, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Des Peres, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But on too many occasions, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We serve clients in Des Peres, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an experienced and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Des Peres, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in motor vehicle wrecks in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which caused 351 injuries and six deaths, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle collisions, which lead to 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both states, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Over three-tenths of bike crashes occur at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, each year they account for more than twice that in traffice-related deaths. The deviation speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Des Peres, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver negligence or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents between intersections cause more serious injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Des Peres, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Des Peres, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Des Peres, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need accomplished and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Des Peres, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Des Peres, MO?
Who is responsible depends on the causes of your accident. Each case is different, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But the road is for everyone, and if you are injured by a motorist the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone injures you because they were texting and driving, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. Pursuant to the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you wee injured because a driver passed too closely, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will be more honest in negotiations.
A Faulty or Motor Vehicle Parts
If your result was because of a defective product, such as brakes, you can seek a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be responsible for a percentage of your financial recovery.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Des Peres, MO roadways. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting contributed to your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Des Peres, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
What Are My Des Peres, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic loss and other factors:
- The extent of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Surgeries will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Des Peres, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. After years of playing piano, is it hard to sit up straight on the bench now? A seasoned and knowledgeable Des Peres, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you need to be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a construction worker who suffered a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Des Peres, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 30 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is comfortable.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your compensation would be lowered by $30,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent to blame.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Des Peres, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your damages. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We do what we do every day because we believe that everyone has should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Des Peres, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Des Peres, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, painful and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Des Peres, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their practice to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they deserve. You do not pay unless we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Des Peres, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.