Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Des Peres, MO
Des Peres, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Des Peres, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Des Peres, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for our physical and mental well-being. But too often, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We offer expert legal representation clients in Des Peres, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Des Peres, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Des Peres, MO to guarantee the ideal outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Des Peres, MO can provide assistance in a multitude of ways:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are legally entitled to
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law honestly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless claims adjuster can feel disheartening. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often count on claimants knowing very little about injury and accident law to pay as minimal money as achievable. We'll guarantee they understand their lawful obligation to reimburse you for every single one of your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complicated legal processes, including acquiring evidence, deposing people who saw the accident, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are novice with injury claims can make errors or overlook important steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a advantage, not a weakness.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle ensuring your compensation while you focus on healing.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interview witnesses, review medical records, and establish a connection your injuries to your accident, as well as depose witnesses who can support your story. The more complicated your case, the more proof is needed. Knowledgeable bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to locate the evidence needed to win your claim.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if liability isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned personal injury lawyers in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and take them to court if necessary.
As experienced Des Peres, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from initial case evaluation through a jury or bench trial.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Des Peres, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle crashes in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle collisions 1,995 people were injured and 28 people passed away.
In both states, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American travelers, each year they account for over two percent of traffic accident deaths. The deviation points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Des Peres, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents on the side of the road cause more serious injuries because of the higher speeds involved. Your Des Peres, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out an exhaustive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Des Peres, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be severe and even sometimes result in permanent disability. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Des Peres, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need talented and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Des Peres, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Des Peres, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your case. Each case is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is to blame, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and make each of them pay you based on how much of the accident was their fault. You may be able to seek compensation from:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any passenger car, and if you are injured by a motorist the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were driving drunk, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as allowing at least three feet of space when passing. Under the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a state statute. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Motor Vehicle Component
If your accident was because of a defective product, such as brakes, you can seek a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety issue comes to light. If they are negligent in that duty, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be responsible for a portion of your compensation.
A Government Entity
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Des Peres, MO roadways. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections caused your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Des Peres, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so an attorney is imperative for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Des Peres, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic damages and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — More significant injuries lead to higher medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to more money than a a visit or two with your primary care physician. Was the accident severe enough to require a joint replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Des Peres, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the physical and emotional distress caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? An accomplished and skilled Des Peres, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you need to be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Des Peres, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 35 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is comfortable.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially to blame, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your compensation would be lowered by $30,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Des Peres, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should be able to lean on the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Des Peres, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be scary and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several things you should do to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Get Medical Attention
If you can, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, hold out for emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you you can leave the scene. If you didn't go on the same day, make an appointment with your primary care physician as soon as you can. If you don't have medical documentation of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing the other party's liability. Police are trained to determine fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't acknowledge fault or over-embellish what happened. Be honest, but don't say anything beyond the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't offer any information they don't specifically ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident site, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can contact them at a later time.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an unfairly low offer. They want you to settle before you realize the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost rarely true. The majority of injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always recommended to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Des Peres, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Des Peres, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is shocking, painful and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Des Peres, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their abilities to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive all the money they deserve. We charge no fees we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Des Peres, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.