Wrongful Death Attorneys in Maryland Heights, MO
Call for a Consultation and Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Maryland Heights, MO. Halvorsen Klote represents clients in the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our firm knows that losing a family member is difficult. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death attorneys in Maryland Heights, MO, Halvorsen Klote is here to help survivors recover any financial damages in the case of an unexpected death. This includes vehicular accidents, medical malpractice, work-related incidents, falls, and others. Families may be able to receive compensation for their loss. Contact our Maryland Heights, MO, wrongful death attorneys today for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. This depends on which state the victim died and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors are usually able to sue for wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support or care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are more than 170,000 unintentional deaths every year in the U.S. If you're a dependent of someone that dies, it is important to reach out to a wrongful death lawyer in Maryland Heights, MO, as soon as you can. Losing income, childcare, and other support may cause major harm and financial stress. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these sorts of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can Be Sued for Wrongful Death?
There's a few liable parties depending on the case. Each state has different laws on this, of course. In general, claimants have been potentially wronged by whichever parties are at fault. This can include a driver and that driver's employer, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, a government agency, distributors or manufacturers, a property owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on where the accident happened, any liability coverage, and other factors. It's essential to reach out to an experienced Maryland Heights, MO, wrongful death attorney that will assess the claim and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes can range from a bad reaction to medication or a faulty piece of machinery. There's no way to know. A few of the more common causes include:
- Car and truck accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths every year in the United States.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve defective medical equipment, anesthesia and surgical errors, and prescribing the wrong kind of medication.
- On-the-job accidents usually involve machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability is an umbrella statement for dangerous products, malfunctioning parts (car brakes, flaws, etc.), and inherent design problems or warning systems.
Halvorsen Klote's wrongful death lawyers in Maryland Heights, MO, provide experienced legal services to victims. View our client testimonials to learn more about our firm. Our attorneys are here to help.
Damages for Wrongful Death
Economic damages may include lost wages, lost benefits, any loss of inheritance, and any goods and services the survivor may have contributed in the future. You can also include medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages are more complicated. Non-economic repercussions such as emotional distress, loss of guidance or training, pain and suffering, and loss of love can all factor into play. Certain states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Your Maryland Heights, MO, wrongful death attorneys will calculate these damages and ensure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You also need to consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The general rule is you should file a case within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer
There are a few things you should look for before you hire an attorney to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you're contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to manage your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Many firms should be able to provide you with case results and reviews.
- How much does your firm charge? Lawyer fees are an obvious concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Reach Out To a Wrongful Death Attorney in Maryland Heights, MO, Today
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. Call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case consultation. Our Maryland Heights, MO, wrongful death lawyers handle a variety of other cases too, including:
- Injury Lawyer
- Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Attorneys
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Our attorneys would be more than happy to speak with you. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our testimonials here.
No matter the cause of death, it is important to contact our local wrongful death lawyers in Maryland Heights, MO, right away if there are financial damages. Legal counsel doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our Maryland Heights, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to win.