Wrongful Death Attorneys in Belleville, IL
Call for a Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Belleville, IL. Halvorsen Klote represents clients in the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our team knows that the loss of a loved one is difficult and tragic. As experienced injury and wrongful death attorneys in Belleville, IL, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages after an unexpected death. This includes vehicular accidents, medical malpractice, work-related incidents, falls, and others. Families may be able to recover compensation for their loss. Contact Halvorsen Klote's Belleville, IL, wrongful death attorneys now for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
"Who can sue" is a common question from clients. This varies on which state the victim died and many other factors. In general, the following survivors have a chance to sue:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support and care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are an average of 170,000 unintentional deaths every year in the U.S. If you are a dependent of someone that dies, it's important to contact a wrongful death attorney in Belleville, IL, as soon as you can. Losing income, childcare, and other support may cause major harm and financial stress. Halvorsen Klote has helped clients with these sorts of cases. Feel free to view our testimonials here.
Who Can Be Sued for Wrongful Death?
There's a few liable parties depending on the case. The law varies based on which state the death occurs. In general, claimants have been potentially victimized by whichever parties are at fault. This includes a driving company's employer if you're in an auto accident, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, government agencies, distributors or manufacturers, a property owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on factors like how the accident happened, where it occurred, and who is liable. It's important to reach out to an experienced Belleville, IL, wrongful death attorney that will assess the case and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
A death in the family can cause emotional and financial stress to family members. The causes can range from a bad reaction to medication or a faulty piece of machinery. There's no way to know. A few of the more common causes include:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths each year in the U.S.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve anesthesia errors, birth injuries, defective equipment, and nursing home neglect.
- Workplace accidents usually involve machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability is an umbrella statement for dangerous products, malfunctioning parts (car brakes, flaws, etc.), and inherent design problems or warning systems.
What Damages Can You Recover for Wrongful Death?
Economic damages can include any loss of financial earnings, lost benefits, any loss of inheritance, and any goods and services the survivor may have contributed in the future. You can also include medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages that have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions such as pain and suffering, loss of consortium or love, guidance, and nurturing can all factor into play. Certain states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Our Belleville, IL, wrongful death lawyers will calculate these damages and make sure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The rule of thumb is that you should file a claim within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for when you hire a lawyer to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you are contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to handle your case.
- What kind of experience do you have? Many firms should be able to provide you with case results and reviews.
- How much does it cost for your services? Lawyer fees are a big concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Attorney in Belleville, IL, Now
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote today for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case review and consultation. Our Belleville, IL, wrongful death lawyers handle a number of other cases too, including:
- Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Attorneys
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Lawyer
Our lawyers would be more than happy to discuss your case. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our testimonials here.
No matter the cause of death, it is important to contact our local wrongful death lawyers in Belleville, IL, right away if there are financial damages. Legal representation doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don't win your case you don't owe us anything and there aren't any upfront fees. Our Belleville, IL, wrongful death attorneys are here to win.