Wrongful Death Attorneys in Quincy, MO
Call for a Case Review and Consultation
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Quincy, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our team knows that the loss of a family member is difficult. As experienced injury and wrongful death attorneys in Quincy, MO, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages after an unexpected death. This includes vehicular accidents, medical malpractice, work-related incidents, falls, and others. Families may be able to receive compensation for their loss. Contact Halvorsen Klote's Quincy, MO, wrongful death attorneys now for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
"Who can sue" is a common question from clients. The answer varies on the state the victim is in and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors have a chance to sue:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support and care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are more than 170,000 unintentional deaths each year in the U.S. If you're a dependent of someone who dies, it is essential to contact a wrongful death attorney in Quincy, MO, as soon as possible. Losing income, childcare, and other support may cause serious harm and financial stress on any survivors. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these sorts of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a few liable parties depending on the incident. The law varies based on which state the death occurs. In general, survivors have been potentially wronged by whichever parties are at fault. This includes a driving company's employer if you're in an auto accident, the contractor responsible for any roadwork, an employee, government agencies, manufacturers and distributors, a property owner, and others.
Who's at fault depends on factors like how the accident happened, where it occurred, and who is liable. It is essential to reach out to an experienced Quincy, MO, wrongful death attorney that will assess the case and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes may range from dying in a train accident to a construction platform falling on someone. There's no way to tell. A few of the more common causes include the following:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths every year in the United States.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve defective medical equipment, anesthesia and surgical errors, and prescribing the wrong kind of medication.
- On-the-job accidents often involve machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability deaths can be caused due to equipment failure (faulty brakes on a car), lack of a warning systems, chemicals, and other dangerous products.
Damages for Wrongful Death
Economic damages can include lost wages, lost benefits, any loss of inheritance, and any goods and services the survivor may have contributed in the future. You can also include medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions such as pain and suffering, loss of consortium or love, guidance, and nurturing can all factor into play. Certain states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Our Quincy, MO, wrongful death lawyers will calculate these damages and ensure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The general rule is you should file a claim within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for before you hire an attorney to represent your case. Below are a couple of questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you work with? You need to know if you are contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to handle your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Many firms should be able to provide you with client reviews and testimonials.
- How much does it cost for your services? Lawyer fees are a big concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Reach Out To a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Quincy, MO, Now
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case consultation. Our Quincy, MO, wrongful death attorneys handle a number of other cases too, including:
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer
- Personal Injury Lawyer
Our attorneys would be more than happy to speak with you. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our testimonials here.
No matter the cause of death, it's important to contact a local wrongful death lawyers in Quincy, MO, right away if there are financial damages. Legal assistance doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our Quincy, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to win.