Wrongful Death Attorneys in Valley Park, MO
Call for a Consultation
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Valley Park, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our team understands that losing a loved one or family member is difficult and tragic. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death lawyers in Valley Park, MO, Halvorsen Klote is here to help survivors recover any financial damages after an unexpected death. This includes vehicular accidents, medical malpractice, work-related incidents, falls, and others. Families may be able to recover compensation for their loss. Contact our Valley Park, MO, wrongful death attorneys today for a case review and consultation.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. The answer depends on which state the victim died and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors are usually able to sue for wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support and care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are more than 170,000 unintentional deaths each year in the U.S. If you're a dependent of another person who dies, it's essential to reach out to a wrongful death attorney in Valley Park, MO, as soon as possible. Losing income, childcare, and other support may cause serious harm and financial stress on any survivors. Halvorsen Klote has helped clients with these sorts of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a few liable parties depending on the case. Each state has different laws on this, of course. In general, claimants have been potentially victimized by whichever parties are at fault. This includes a driving company's employer if you're in an auto accident, the contractor responsible for any roadwork, an employee, government agencies, manufacturers and distributors, a building owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on where the accident happened, any liability coverage, and other factors. It's essential to reach out to an experienced Valley Park, MO, wrongful death attorney that can assess the claim and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
A death in the family can cause emotional and financial stress to family members. The causes may range from a bad reaction to medication or a faulty piece of machinery. There's just no way to know. A few of the more common causes include:
- Car and truck accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths every year in the U.S.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve anesthesia errors, birth injuries, defective equipment, and nursing home neglect.
- On-the-job accidents usually involve machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability is an umbrella statement for dangerous products, malfunctioning parts (car brakes, flaws, etc.), and inherent design problems or warning systems.
Damages for Wrongful Death
Economic damages can include any loss of financial earnings, loss of benefits, any loss of inheritance, and any goods and services the survivor may have contributed in the future. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions like emotional distress, loss of guidance or training, pain and suffering, and loss of love can all factor in. Certain states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Your Valley Park, MO, wrongful death lawyers will calculate these damages and ensure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You also need to consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The rule of thumb is that you should file a case within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for before you hire an attorney to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you're contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to handle your case.
- What kind of experience do you have? Any firm should be able to provide you with case results and reviews.
- How much does your firm charge? Lawyer fees are an obvious concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Reach Out To a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Valley Park, MO, Now
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case review and consultation. Our Valley Park, MO, wrongful death attorneys handle a variety of other cases too, including:
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
Our firm would be happy to speak with you. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our testimonials here.
No matter the cause of death, it's essential to contact our local wrongful death lawyers in Valley Park, MO, right away if there are financial damages. Legal assistance doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don't win your case you don't owe us anything and there aren't any upfront fees. Our Valley Park, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to help.