Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Valley Park, MO
Valley Park, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Valley Park, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Valley Park, MO. Riding a bicycle can inspire a wonderful sense of freedom. But on too many occasions, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We serve clients in Valley Park, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Valley Park, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Valley Park, MO to ensure the ideal result. A personal injury lawyer in Valley Park, MO can offer help in a variety of ways:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you increase your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are legally entitled to
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law truthfully and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate claims adjuster can feel defeating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do anything they can to avoid accepting that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing scant about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to provide as minimal money as feasible. We'll guarantee they understand their lawful duty to compensate you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complicated legal processes, including acquiring evidence, interviewing people who saw the accident, analyzing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are unfamiliar with injury claims can make errors or miss critical details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a advantage, not a disadvantage.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle obtaining your compensation while you focus on getting better.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to question witnesses, analyze medical records, and connect your injuries to your accident, as well as interview witnesses who can validate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more proof is needed. Experienced bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to find the evidence needed to get maximum compensation.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if liability isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to fight against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to bring a legal action and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced Valley Park, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from initial case review through a jury verdict.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Valley Park, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in motor vehicle wrecks nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which resulted in 351 injuries and six deaths, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, which resulted in 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
In both states, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes occur at night, when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, annually they account for over two percent of traffice-related deaths. The discrepancy speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Valley Park, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver negligence or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently marked construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents between intersections do more damage because of the higher speeds involved. Your Valley Park, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a thorough investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Valley Park, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in permanent consequences. We've helped secure great compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need accomplished and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Valley Park, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is Liable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Valley Park, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the specifics of your case. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But have the same right to the road as the driver of any passenger car, and if you are injured by a motorist the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone injures you because they were driving drunk, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Following the legal practice of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Car Component
If your accident was because of a defective product, such as headlights, you can make a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they fail to, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Governmental agencies at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Valley Park, MO roadways. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections contributed to your accident, your Valley Park, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is imperative to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not given sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Valley Park, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are numerous factors that determine what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The scope of your injuries — More serious injuries lead to higher medical expenses, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Valley Park, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Does your wrist lock when you try to play the guitar? An accomplished and skilled Valley Park, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who suffered a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Valley Park, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially to blame, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent responsible.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Valley Park, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your damages. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. Our practice is founded on the idea that everyone has has a right to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Valley Park, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several things you should do to help you get better physically and optimize your compensation.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Get Medical Treatment
If you're able to, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could make your injuries worse. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, wait for emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, visit the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you you are free to leave the scene. If you didn't go on the same day, make an appointment with your primary care physician in the days afterward. If you don't have records from a physician of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in proving how the other drive caused the accident. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't acknowledge fault or over-embellish what happened. Be honest, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't provide any information they don't specifically ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can get in touch with them at a later time.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an unfairly low offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost never true. The majority of injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always recommended to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
See some of the other cases we take on in Valley Park, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Valley Park, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Valley Park, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their careers to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive all the money they are entitled to. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Valley Park, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.