Wrongful Death Attorneys in Union, MO
Call for a Consultation and Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Union, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our firm knows that losing a family member is difficult and tragic. As experienced injury and wrongful death attorneys in Union, MO, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages in the case of an unexpected death. This includes vehicular accidents, medical malpractice, work-related incidents, falls, and others. Families may be able to receive compensation for their loss. Contact our Union, MO, wrongful death attorneys now for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. The answer depends on the state the victim is in and many other factors. In general, the following survivors are able to sue after a wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support or care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are more than 170,000 unintentional deaths each year in the U.S. If you are a dependent of another person that has died, it is crucial to contact a wrongful death attorney in Union, MO, as soon as you can. Losing income, childcare, and other support can cause major harm and financial stress on any survivors. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these sorts of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can Be Sued for Wrongful Death?
There's a few liable parties depending on the incident. The law varies based on which state the death occurs. In general, claimants have been potentially victimized by whichever parties are at fault. This includes a driver and that driver's employer, the contractor responsible for any roadwork, an employee, government agencies, distributors or manufacturers, a building owner, and others.
Who's at fault depends on where the accident happened, any liability coverage, and other factors. It's important to contact an experienced Union, MO, wrongful death attorney that can assess the claim and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes may range from a bad reaction to medication or a faulty piece of machinery. There's no way to tell. A few of the more common causes include:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths each year in the United States.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve defective medical equipment, anesthesia and surgical errors, and prescribing the wrong kind of medication.
- On-the-job accidents often involve machinery malfunctions, chemical exposure, and burns.
- Product liability deaths can be caused due to equipment failure (faulty brakes on a car), lack of a warning systems, chemicals, and other dangerous products.
Damages for Wrongful Death
Economic damages may include any loss of financial earnings, loss of benefits, any loss of inheritance, and any goods and services the survivor may have contributed in the future. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions such as pain and suffering, loss of consortium or love, guidance, and nurturing can all factor in. Certain states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Your Union, MO, wrongful death lawyers will calculate these damages and ensure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The general rule is you should file a claim within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for when you hire a lawyer to represent your case. Below are a couple of questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you work with? You need to know if you're contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to handle your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Any firm should be able to provide you with case results and reviews.
- How much does it cost for your services? Lawyer fees are a big concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Reach Out To a Wrongful Death Attorney in Union, MO, Now
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote today for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case review and consultation. Our Union, MO, wrongful death attorneys handle a variety of other cases as well, including:
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
- Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Attorneys
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
Our attorneys would be more than happy to speak with you. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our case results here.
No matter the cause of death, it is important to contact our local wrongful death lawyers in Union, MO, right away if there are financial damages. Legal assistance doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our Union, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to help.