Wrongful Death Attorneys in Macon, MO
Call for a Case Review and Consultation
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Macon, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our firm understands that losing a family member is difficult. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death attorneys in Macon, MO, Halvorsen Klote is here to help survivors recover any financial damages in the case of an unexpected death. This includes car and truck crashes, falls, work-related incidents, medical malpractice, and others. Families may be able to recover compensation for their loss. Contact Halvorsen Klote's Macon, MO, wrongful death attorneys now for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. This depends on the state the victim is in and many other factors. In general, the following survivors have a chance to sue:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support and care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are more than 170,000 unintentional deaths every year in the U.S. If you're a dependent of someone who has died, it is important to contact a wrongful death attorney in Macon, MO, as soon as you can. Losing income, childcare, and other support may cause major harm and financial stress. Halvorsen Klote has helped clients with these sorts of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can Be Sued for Wrongful Death?
There's a few liable parties depending on the incident. Each state has different laws on this, of course. In general, survivors have been potentially victimized by whichever parties are at fault. This includes a driver and that driver's employer, the contractor responsible for any roadwork, an employee, government agencies, manufacturers and distributors, a building owner, and others.
Who's at fault depends on factors like how the accident happened, where it occurred, and who is liable. It's important to contact an experienced Macon, MO, wrongful death attorney that can assess the claim and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes may range from dying in a train accident to a construction platform falling on someone. There's just no way to tell. A few of the more common causes include the following:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths every year in the U.S.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve anesthesia errors, birth injuries, defective equipment, and nursing home neglect.
- On-the-job accidents usually include machinery malfunctions, chemical exposure, and burns.
- Product liability is an umbrella statement for dangerous products, malfunctioning parts (car brakes, flaws, etc.), and inherent design problems or warning systems.
What Damages Can You Recover for Wrongful Death?
Economic damages may include lost wages, loss of benefits, any loss of inheritance, and even the value of goods a victim would have provided if they didn't die. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages that have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions such as emotional distress, loss of guidance or training, pain and suffering, and loss of love can all factor into play. Certain states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Your Macon, MO, wrongful death attorneys will calculate these damages and make sure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state the accident occurred in. The general rule is you should pursue a claim within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for before you hire an attorney to represent your case. Below are a couple of questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you work with? You need to know if you are contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to manage your case.
- What kind of experience do you have? Any firm should be able to provide you with case results and reviews.
- How much does it cost for your services? Lawyer fees are a big concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Macon, MO, Now
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. Call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case consultation. Our Macon, MO, wrongful death attorneys handle a number of other cases too, including:
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
Our attorneys would be happy to discuss your case. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our case results here.
No matter the cause of death, it's crucial to contact our local wrongful death lawyers in Macon, MO, right away if there are financial damages. Legal representation doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don't win your case you don't owe us anything and there aren't any upfront fees. Our Macon, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to win.