Wrongful Death Attorneys in New Florence, MO
Call for a Consultation
Wrongful Death Attorneys in New Florence, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our team understands that losing a loved one or family member is difficult and tragic. As experienced injury and wrongful death attorneys in New Florence, MO, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages in the case of an unexpected death. This includes vehicular accidents, medical malpractice, work-related incidents, falls, and others. Families may be able to receive compensation for their loss. Contact our New Florence, MO, wrongful death attorneys now for a case review and consultation.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. This varies on which state the victim died and many other factors. In general, the following survivors are able to sue after a wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support and care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are an average of 170,000 unintentional deaths each year in the U.S. If you are a dependent of another person who has died, it is important to contact a wrongful death lawyer in New Florence, MO, as soon as possible. Losing income, childcare, and other support may cause major harm and financial stress. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these sorts of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a few liable parties depending on the case. The law varies based on which state the death occurs. In general, claimants have been potentially wronged by whichever parties are at fault. This includes a driving company's employer if you're in an auto accident, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, a government agency, manufacturers and distributors, a building owner, and others.
Who's at fault depends on factors like how the accident happened, where it occurred, and who is liable. It's important to reach out to an experienced New Florence, MO, wrongful death attorney that can assess the case and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes can range from dying in a train accident to a construction platform falling on someone. There's just no way to know. A few of the more common causes include:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths each year in the U.S.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve defective medical equipment, anesthesia and surgical errors, and prescribing the wrong kind of medication.
- Workplace accidents often involve machinery malfunctions, chemical exposure, and burns.
- Product liability is an umbrella statement for dangerous products, malfunctioning parts (car brakes, flaws, etc.), and inherent design problems or warning systems.
Damages for Wrongful Death
Economic damages may include any loss of financial earnings, lost benefits, any loss of inheritance, and even the value of goods a victim would have provided if they didn't die. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages are more complicated. Non-economic repercussions like emotional distress, loss of guidance or training, pain and suffering, and loss of love can all factor into play. Some states allow you to claim punitive damages for negligent acts.
Our New Florence, MO, wrongful death attorneys will calculate these damages and ensure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You also need to consider statutes of limitations in the state the accident occurred in. The rule of thumb is that you should pursue a case within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for before you hire an attorney to represent your case. Below are a couple of questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you work with? You need to know if you are contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to handle your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Any firm should be able to provide you with client reviews and testimonials.
- How much does your firm charge? Lawyer fees are a big concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Lawyer in New Florence, MO, Now
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote today for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case consultation. Our New Florence, MO, wrongful death attorneys handle a number of other cases too, including:
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer
- Personal Injury Lawyer
Our attorneys would be more than happy to discuss your case. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our testimonials here.
No matter the cause of death, it's important to contact a local wrongful death lawyers in New Florence, MO, right away if there are financial damages. Legal counsel doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don't win your case you don't owe us anything and there aren't any upfront fees. Our New Florence, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to win.