Wrongful Death Attorneys in Kirkwood, MO
Call for a Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Kirkwood, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our team knows that losing a loved one is difficult and tragic. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death lawyers in Kirkwood, MO, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages after an unexpected death. This includes car and truck crashes, falls, work-related incidents, medical malpractice, and others. Families may be able to receive compensation for their loss. Contact Halvorsen Klote's Kirkwood, MO, wrongful death attorneys today for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. This depends on which state the victim died and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors are able to sue after a wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support and care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are more than 170,000 unintentional deaths every year in the U.S. If you're a dependent of someone that has died, it's crucial to reach out to a wrongful death attorney in Kirkwood, MO, as soon as you can. Losing income, childcare, and other support can cause serious harm and financial stress. Halvorsen Klote has helped clients with these types of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a number of liable parties depending on the incident. Each state has different laws on this, of course. In general, claimants have been potentially victimized by whichever parties are at fault. This includes a driving company's employer if you're in an auto accident, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, government agencies, distributors or manufacturers, a building owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on where the accident happened, any liability coverage, and other factors. It's essential to reach out to an experienced Kirkwood, MO, wrongful death attorney that will assess the case and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
A death in the family can cause emotional and financial stress to family members. The causes can range from dying in a train accident to a construction platform falling on someone. There's no way to know. A few of the more common causes include the following:
- Car and truck accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths every year in the U.S.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve anesthesia errors, birth injuries, defective equipment, and nursing home neglect.
- On-the-job accidents usually include machinery malfunctions, chemical exposure, and burns.
- Product liability is an umbrella statement for dangerous products, malfunctioning parts (car brakes, flaws, etc.), and inherent design problems or warning systems.
Damages for Wrongful Death
Economic damages may include any loss of financial earnings, loss of benefits, any loss of inheritance, and even the value of goods a victim would have provided if they didn't die. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages are more complicated. Non-economic repercussions like pain and suffering, loss of consortium or love, guidance, and nurturing can all factor into play. Some states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Your Kirkwood, MO, wrongful death attorneys will calculate these damages and ensure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state the accident occurred in. The rule of thumb is that you should pursue a case within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for before you hire an attorney to represent your case. Below are a couple of questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you work with? You need to know if you're contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to manage your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Many firms should be able to provide you with client reviews and testimonials.
- How much does your firm charge? Lawyer fees are a big concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Attorney in Kirkwood, MO, Now
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case review and consultation. Our Kirkwood, MO, wrongful death lawyers manage a variety of other cases too, including:
- Truck Accident Attorneys
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer
Our lawyers would be more than happy to speak with you. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our testimonials here.
No matter the cause of death, it's important to contact a local wrongful death lawyers in Kirkwood, MO, right away if there are financial damages. Legal counsel doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our Kirkwood, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to help.