Wrongful Death Attorneys in Vandalia, MO
Call for a Consultation and Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Vandalia, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our team knows that losing a family member is difficult and tragic. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death attorneys in Vandalia, MO, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages after an unexpected death. This includes car and truck crashes, falls, work-related incidents, medical malpractice, and others. Families may be able to receive compensation for their loss. Contact our Vandalia, MO, wrongful death attorneys now for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. The answer depends on the state the victim is in and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors have a chance to sue:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support and care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are more than 170,000 unintentional deaths each year in the U.S. If you are financially dependent on someone that dies, it's crucial to reach out to a wrongful death attorney in Vandalia, MO, as soon as possible. Losing income, childcare, and other support may cause major harm and financial stress on any survivors. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these sorts of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a few liable parties depending on the case. Each state has different laws on this, of course. In general, survivors have been potentially victimized by whichever parties are at fault. This includes a driver and that driver's employer, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, a government agency, manufacturers and distributors, a building owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on factors like how the accident happened, where it occurred, and who is liable. It's important to contact an experienced Vandalia, MO, wrongful death attorney that can assess the case and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
A death in the family can cause emotional and financial stress to family members. The causes may range from a bad reaction to medication or a faulty piece of machinery. There's no way to know. A few of the more common causes include:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths each year in the United States.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve anesthesia errors, birth injuries, defective equipment, and nursing home neglect.
- Workplace accidents usually include machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability deaths can be caused due to equipment failure (faulty brakes on a car), lack of a warning systems, chemicals, and other dangerous products.
What Damages Can You Recover for Wrongful Death?
Economic damages often include lost wages, loss of benefits, any loss of inheritance, and even the value of goods a victim would have provided if they didn't die. You can also include medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions such as pain and suffering, loss of consortium or love, guidance, and nurturing can all factor into play. Some states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Your Vandalia, MO, wrongful death attorneys will calculate these damages and ensure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You also need to consider statutes of limitations in the state the accident occurred in. The rule of thumb is that you should file a claim within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for before you hire an attorney to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you work with? You need to know if you are contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to handle your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Any firm should be able to provide you with case results and reviews.
- How much does it cost for your services? Lawyer fees are a big concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Vandalia, MO, Today
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case review and consultation. Our Vandalia, MO, wrongful death lawyers manage a number of other cases too, including:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Our lawyers would be more than happy to discuss your case. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our case results here.
No matter the cause of death, it is important to contact our local wrongful death lawyers in Vandalia, MO, as soon as possible if there are financial damages. Legal assistance doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our Vandalia, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to help.