Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Vandalia, MO
Vandalia, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Vandalia, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Vandalia, MO. Riding a bicycle is a great way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But on too many occasions, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident even after you did everything that you were supposed to, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We offer expert legal representation clients in Vandalia, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a qualified and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Vandalia, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in auto accidents in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle crashes 1,995 people were injured and 28 people perished.
Nationawide, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes occur at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, each year they account for over twice that in traffice-related fatalities. The disparity speaks to the horrible destruction motorists can do when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Vandalia, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist merely did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents on the side of the road are more severe because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Vandalia, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a thorough investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Vandalia, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure the best possible financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because of the severity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need skilled and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Vandalia, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who is Responsible for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Vandalia, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the specifics of your case. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But have the same right to the road as the driver of any other vehicle, and if you are injured by a motorist the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone hits you because they were texting and driving, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. Pursuant to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Car Component
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls if a safety hazard arises. If they are negligent in that duty, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to report drug tests, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Agency
Governmental entities at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Vandalia, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as a pothole caused your injuries, your Vandalia, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own regulations for maintaining safe roads. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is crucial for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Vandalia, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are a variety of factors that determine what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The extent of your injuries — More significant injuries lead to higher medical costs, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Vandalia, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and mental health — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? An experienced and skilled Vandalia, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Vandalia, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 30 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal philosophy of comparative fault, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially liable, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if your damages total $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Vandalia, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should have access to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Vandalia, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Vandalia, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Vandalia, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their practice to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive all the money they are owed. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Vandalia, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.