Wrongful Death Attorneys in Fairview Heights, IL
Call for a Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Fairview Heights, IL. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our team understands that losing a loved one or family member is difficult. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death attorneys in Fairview Heights, IL, Halvorsen Klote is here to help survivors recover any financial damages in the case of an unexpected death. This includes vehicular accidents, medical malpractice, work-related incidents, falls, and others. Families may be able to recover compensation for their loss. Contact our Fairview Heights, IL, wrongful death attorneys now for a case review and consultation.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. This varies on which state the victim died and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors have a chance to sue:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support and care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are more than 170,000 unintentional deaths every year in the U.S. If you're a dependent of another person that has died, it is essential to reach out to a wrongful death attorney in Fairview Heights, IL, as soon as you can. Losing income, childcare, and other support can cause serious harm and financial stress on any survivors. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these types of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a few liable parties depending on the case. Each state has different laws on this, of course. In general, survivors have been potentially wronged by whichever parties are at fault. This includes a driver and that driver's employer, the contractor responsible for any roadwork, an employee, a government agency, distributors or manufacturers, a property owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on factors like how the accident happened, where it occurred, and who is liable. It is important to reach out to an experienced Fairview Heights, IL, wrongful death attorney that will assess the claim and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
A death in the family can cause emotional and financial stress to family members. The causes may range from dying in a train accident to a construction platform falling on someone. There's just no way to know. A few of the more common causes include the following:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths each year in the United States.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve anesthesia errors, birth injuries, defective equipment, and nursing home neglect.
- On-the-job accidents usually include machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability is an umbrella statement for dangerous products, malfunctioning parts (car brakes, flaws, etc.), and inherent design problems or warning systems.
What Damages Can You Recover for Wrongful Death?
Economic damages may include lost wages, lost benefits, any loss of inheritance, and any goods and services the survivor may have contributed in the future. You can also include medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages that have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions like emotional distress, loss of guidance or training, pain and suffering, and loss of love can all factor into play. Some states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Your Fairview Heights, IL, wrongful death attorneys will calculate these damages and make sure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The rule of thumb is that you should pursue a case within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for when you hire a lawyer to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you're contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to manage your case.
- What kind of experience do you have? Any firm should be able to provide you with client reviews and testimonials.
- How much does it cost for your services? Lawyer fees are a big concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Reach Out To a Wrongful Death Attorney in Fairview Heights, IL, Today
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote today for a consultation. You can call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case consultation. Our Fairview Heights, IL, wrongful death lawyers manage a number of other cases too, including:
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
- Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Attorneys
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
Our lawyers would be happy to discuss your case. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our testimonials here.
No matter the cause of death, it is crucial to contact a local wrongful death lawyers in Fairview Heights, IL, as soon as possible if there are financial damages. Legal counsel doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our Fairview Heights, IL, wrongful death attorneys are here to win.