Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Fairview Heights, IL
Fairview Heights, IL Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Fairview Heights, IL Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Fairview Heights, IL. Riding a bicycle can inspire a wonderful sense of freedom. But on too many occasions, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to stand by your side. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Fairview Heights, IL and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an experienced and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Fairview Heights, IL?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Fairview Heights, IL to ensure the ideal result. A personal injury lawyer in Fairview Heights, IL can give support in a range of ways:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are legally entitled to
- Finding supplementary insurance coverage if your damages surpass the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law fairly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance adjuster can feel disheartening. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often count on claimants knowing very little about injury and accident law to provide as little money as feasible. We'll ensure they understand their legal responsibility to reimburse you for each your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including acquiring evidence, deposing witnesses, examining medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are unfamiliar with injury claims can make errors or miss important steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a asset, not a vulnerability.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on getting better.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to question witnesses, analyze medical records, and link your injuries to your accident, as well as interview witnesses who can corroborate your story. The more complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Knowledgeable bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to find the evidence needed to get a full financial recovery.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if liability isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to file a lawsuit and bring them to trial if necessary.
As experienced Fairview Heights, IL trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side for the duration of your case, from our first case evaluation through a jury or bench trial.
Fairview Heights, IL Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle accidents in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle wrecks 1,995 people were injured and 28 people passed away.
Nationawide, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American travelers, each year they account for more than twice that in traffice-related fatalities. The disparity speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Fairview Heights, IL?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist merely did not see a bicyclist. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically leads to bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents between intersections are more severe because of the higher speeds involved. Your Fairview Heights, IL bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Fairview Heights, IL Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure great financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need accomplished and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Fairview Heights, IL area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is Responsible for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Fairview Heights, IL?
Who is liable depends on the the different aspects that led to your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and make each of them pay you based on how much of the accident was their fault. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any passenger car, and in the event of an accident the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone hits you because they were driving under the influence, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Following the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Motor Vehicle Component
If your accident was because of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they fail to, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Agency
Governmental entities both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Fairview Heights, IL roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as a pothole contributed to your injuries, your Fairview Heights, IL bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so an attorney is crucial for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Fairview Heights, IL Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial loss and other factors:
- The severity of your injuries — More significant injuries lead to higher medical bills, and you should receive all of those expenses. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Fairview Heights, IL bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? An experienced and skilled Fairview Heights, IL bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Fairview Heights, IL and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if it is determined that your economic and noneconomic damages come to $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Fairview Heights, IL bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that large corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We do what we do every day because we believe that everyone has has a right to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Fairview Heights, IL
Getting in a bicycle accident can be scary and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Seek Medical Attention
If you can, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you you can leave the scene. If you didn't go on the same day, see your primary care physician as soon as possible. If you don't have records from a physician of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in proving how the other drive caused the accident. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't acknowledge fault or over-explain your actions. Be honest, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't give any information they don't directly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can get in touch with them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you realize the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost rarely true. Many injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always advisable to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Fairview Heights, IL:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Fairview Heights, IL | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Fairview Heights, IL lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their profession to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they are owed. You only pay if we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Fairview Heights, IL today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.