Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Fairview Heights, IL
Fairview Heights, IL Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Fairview Heights, IL Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Fairview Heights, IL. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too often, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Fairview Heights, IL and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to an accomplished and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Fairview Heights, IL Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in auto accidents across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people died, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle collisions, which resulted in 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Nationawide, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes transpire at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, each year they account for more than twice that in traffic accident fatalities. The disparity speaks to the horrible damage drivers can do when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Fairview Heights, IL?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist negligence or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically results in bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents on the side of the road are more severe because of the higher speeds involved. Your Fairview Heights, IL bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Fairview Heights, IL Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure maximum compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need knowledgeable and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Fairview Heights, IL area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Fairview Heights, IL?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the specifics of your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any other vehicle, and in the event of an accident the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone hits you because they were driving under the influence, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as not driving or parking in a bike lane. Under the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will be more honest in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car or Truck Parts
If your result was because of a defective product, such as brakes, you can seek a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they fail to, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than the law permits, they would be responsible for a portion of your compensation.
A Government Agency
Municipal entities both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Fairview Heights, IL roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole contributed to your injuries, your Fairview Heights, IL bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own rules for maintaining safe roads. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, according to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Fairview Heights, IL Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The severity of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a joint replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Fairview Heights, IL bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and mental health — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? A seasoned and skilled Fairview Heights, IL bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a back injury in a bicycle accident in Fairview Heights, IL and a doctor orders you not to lift over 30 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been severely compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative fault, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent responsible.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Fairview Heights, IL bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. Our practice is founded on the idea that everyone has should be able to lean on the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Fairview Heights, IL:
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Fairview Heights, IL | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Fairview Heights, IL lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their abilities to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they recover all the money they deserve. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Fairview Heights, IL today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.