Wrongful Death Attorneys in Collinsville, IL
Call for a Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Collinsville, IL. Halvorsen Klote represents clients in the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our team knows that losing a loved one is difficult and tragic. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death attorneys in Collinsville, IL, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages in the case of an unexpected death. This includes car and truck crashes, falls, work-related incidents, medical malpractice, and others. Families may be able to recover compensation for their loss. Contact our Collinsville, IL, wrongful death attorneys now for a case review and consultation.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
"Who can sue" is a common question from clients. The answer depends on which state the victim died and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors are able to sue after a wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support or care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are an average of 170,000 unintentional deaths each year in the U.S. If you are a dependent of someone that has died, it's crucial to contact a wrongful death lawyer in Collinsville, IL, as soon as you can. Losing income, childcare, and other support may cause major harm and financial stress on any survivors. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these sorts of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a number of liable parties depending on the case. Each state has different laws on this, of course. In general, survivors have been potentially wronged by whichever parties are at fault. This includes a driver and that driver's employer, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, a government agency, distributors or manufacturers, a property owner, and others.
Who's at fault depends on where the accident happened, any liability coverage, and other factors. It's important to contact an experienced Collinsville, IL, wrongful death attorney that can assess the case and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes can range from a bad reaction to medication or a faulty piece of machinery. There's no way to know. A few of the more common causes include:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths every year in the U.S.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve defective medical equipment, anesthesia and surgical errors, and prescribing the wrong kind of medication.
- On-the-job accidents usually involve machinery malfunctions, chemical exposure, and burns.
- Product liability deaths can be caused due to equipment failure (faulty brakes on a car), lack of a warning systems, chemicals, and other dangerous products.
What Damages Can You Recover for Wrongful Death?
Economic damages often include lost wages, loss of benefits, any loss of inheritance, and even the value of goods a victim would have provided if they didn't die. You can also include medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions like emotional distress, loss of guidance or training, pain and suffering, and loss of love can all factor in. Certain states allow you to claim punitive damages for negligent acts.
Your Collinsville, IL, wrongful death lawyers will calculate these damages and make sure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You also need to consider statutes of limitations in the state the accident occurred in. The rule of thumb is that you should pursue a case within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer
There are a few things you should look for when you hire a lawyer to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you are contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to manage your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Any firm should be able to provide you with case results and reviews.
- How much does your firm charge? Lawyer fees are an obvious concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Collinsville, IL, Now
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote today for a consultation. Call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case consultation. Our Collinsville, IL, wrongful death attorneys handle a variety of other cases too, including:
- Truck Accident Attorneys
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer
Our attorneys would be happy to speak with you. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our case results here.
No matter the cause of death, it is crucial to contact a local wrongful death lawyers in Collinsville, IL, right away if there are financial damages. Legal assistance doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our Collinsville, IL, wrongful death attorneys are here to win.