Collinsville, IL Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
Fatal car accident lawyer in Collinsville, IL. Experiencing the loss of a loved one in a car accident is a traumatic experience that nobody should ever have to go through. The pain and confusion that follow can be overwhelming, leaving families in a state of shock. While nothing can bring back a lost life, seeking legal guidance from a specialized fatal car accident attorney in Collinsville, IL can help families work through the complex legal process and discover some semblance of justice. Collinsville, IL personal injury law firm Halvorsen Klote serves as a beacon of help for those facing this heartbreaking tragedy.
Halvorsen Klote is a dedicated and empathetic Collinsville, IL law firm with a well-established reputation for excellence. With knowledge in personal injury law and a specific concentration on fatal car accident cases, we serve clients across Missouri and Illinois. Our team of seasoned Collinsville, IL fatal car accident lawyers is devoted to assisting families work through the legal challenges that surface after a tragic accident, providing direction, support and advocacy every step of the way. With Halvorsen Klote, you have a partner who grasps the weight of your loss and is resolute to fight for your rights and the righteousness your loved one is entitled to. We support the injured and their families in both Missouri and Illinois.
How Common Are Fatal Car Accidents in Missouri and Illinois?
Each year, numerous of lives are lost in fatal car accidents across the United States. Per recent data, in 2022 Missouri documented 878 fatal crashes with 964 deaths, while Illinois recorded an even greater number of fatal accidents at 1,217.
These accidents not only cause unfathomable pain to families and communities, but also affect how families are able to financially support each other. Halvorsen Klote's Collinsville, IL fatal car accident lawyers can assist alleviate that financial hardship and secure justice for your family.
Common Causes of Fatal Car Accidents in Collinsville, IL
Fatal car accidents in Collinsville, IL can happen for a variety of reasons, with some causes being more common than others. Typical causes include:
- Distracted driving:
- Messaging or talking on a cell phone
- Using navigation systems or tweaking the radio
- Eating or drinking
- Operating a vehicle under the influence:
- Drunk driving
- Drugs, including prescription medications
- Reckless or aggressive Driving:
- Neglecting traffic signals
- Multiple lane changing
- Driving too fast
- Climatic conditions:
- Other factors:
- Defective vehicle components
- Subpar road maintenance
Understanding these common causes underscores the need of hiring a fatal car accident lawyer in Collinsville, IL when tragedy strikes. Their role in investigating and pinpointing the responsible parties can offer clarity and justice for the victims' families, assisting them work through the challenging legal landscape that often follows a fatal accident.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit for a Fatal Car Accident in Collinsville, IL?
Every state has their own laws regarding who can file a wrongful death lawsuit. So whom is eligible to file is mainly based on whether your loved one's fatal car accident happened in Missouri or Illinois:
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Missouri?
Missouri Revised Statute §537.080 details three different groups of beneficiaries (people who can bring a suit), in order of priority:
- Surviving spouse
- Children of the deceased, such as natural or adopted, legitimate or illegitimate
- Lineal descendants of the deceased's children (e.g., grandchildren)
- The father or mother of the deceased
- A sibling of the deceased
- Descendants of the siblings (nieces and nephews)
- A "plaintiff ad litem," appointed by the court, who must be someone entitled to damages in the claim
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Illinois?
Illinois is different from most states because, instead of state law giving priority to relatives, the Illinois Wrongful Death Act (740 ILCS 180/) dictates that the wrongful death claim must be filed by the "personal representative" of the estate. In the order of priority, that personal representative is:
- The individual named in the deceased's will as the personal representative, as long as they're a legal adult and aren't disqualified
- If there is no will or the person named as personal representative is disqualified, then the order of priority is:
- The surviving spouse
- Legatees, or people named in the will, by priority of who is entitled to the largest inheritance
- Closest relatives
- A public administrator
What Compensation Is Available for a Fatal Car Accident in Collinsville, IL?
In the tragic aftermath of a fatal car accident in Collinsville, IL, no monetary amount can make up for the passing of your family member. However, compensation obtained through legal means can ease some of the financial burdens and provide a feeling of closure. You may be eligible for various forms of compensation. With the help of your Collinsville, IL fatal car accident lawyer, you can go after compensation for:
- Medical expenses — All medical costs accrued before your family member's death, such as urgent medical attention, surgeries or other treatments.
- Funeral and burial costs — Costs associated with funeral services, burial or cremation and other associated costs.
- Loss of income and benefits — Compensation for the absence of income and benefits that the deceased provided to the family.
- Loss of companionship and loss of consortium — Acknowledgement of the emotional loss and the impact on family relationships, including the loss of love, guidance and companionship.
- Pain and suffering — In some cases, compensation for the physical pain and emotional anguish felt by the deceased prior to their passing, as well as the emotional hardship on family members.
- Punitive damages — In scenarios where the responsible party's actions were particularly dangerous or intentional, punitive damages may be awarded as a form of punishment and deterrence.
The process of determining and pursuing these damages is intricate and requires a complete understanding of the legal landscape, insurance policies and the unique circumstances of the accident. A fatal car accident lawyer in Collinsville, IL can give the necessary expertise to determine potential compensation, talk with insurance companies and responsible parties and advocate for the family's rights in court if necessary. Halvorsen Klote's fatal car accident lawyers are proficient at working diligently to maximize compensation for our clients, providing both legal skill and understanding support during this challenging time.
How Halvorsen Klote Works to Maximize Compensation in Collinsville, IL Fatal Car Accident Cases
Securing a full financial recovery after a fatal car accident requires both legal acumen and an understanding of the deeply personal nature of the case. Halvorsen Klote, serving clients in Collinsville, IL and both Missouri and Illinois, approaches this process with a blend of skill, dedication and compassion. Here's how our fatal car accident lawyer team endeavors to maximize compensation for our clients:
- Thorough investigation — We begin a comprehensive investigation into the accident, amassing all available evidence, conversing with experts and identifying all potential sources of liability.
- Comprehending client needs — By spending the time to understand the unique needs, goals and circumstances of each client, we customize our approach to align with what's best for you and your family.
- Proficient negotiation — With expertise in negotiating with insurance companies and other parties, our Collinsville, IL fatal car accident lawyers aim for fair settlements that represent the true value of the claim.
- Prepared for trial — While many cases are concluded through negotiation, we are always ready to take a case to trial if necessary, vigorously advocating for our clients' rights in court.
- Open communication — Consistent and transparent communication ensures that you stay informed and involved at every stage of the legal process, fostering trust and a united team.
- No upfront costs — Your Collinsville, IL fatal car accident lawyer from Halvorsen Klote will operate on a contingency fee basis, meaning clients won't pay unless compensation is secured. This synchronizes our interests with those of the client and provides availability to the highest quality of legal representation irrespective of your financial situation.
Halvorsen Klote's method to getting the highest financial recovery possible demonstrates our dedication to both professional excellence and compassionate representation. By assigning your case to such a firm, your family can focus on healing and remembrance, assured that their legal matters are being managed with the utmost care, skill, and determination. In a time filled with anxiety and pain, having a dedicated legal advocate can make a significant difference in the quest of justice and fair compensation.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Collinsville, IL Fatal Car Accident Lawyers
Navigating the legal landscape after a fatal car accident can be overwhelming, and many questions surface during this trying time. Below are some common personal injury questions regarding retaining a fatal car accident lawyer in Collinsville, IL and the wrongful death process:
- What attributes should I look for in a fatal car accident lawyer?
- Expertise in handling fatal car accident cases
- Grasp of car accident and wrongful death laws
- Compassionate approach that acknowledges the emotional nature of the situation
- Clear fee structure and communication
- How soon should I consult with a lawyer after the accident?
Immediately to ensure evidence is maintained and legal timelines are met.
- What type of compensation can I expect?
Compensation varies based on factors such as liability, insurance coverage, emotional loss, etc. A detailed consultation with a fatal car accident lawyer in Collinsville, IL like Halvorsen Klote can provide detailed insight.
- Will I have to go to court?
A majority of cases are resolved through negotiation, but Halvorsen Klote's Collinsville, IL fatal car accident lawyers are prepared to go to trial if required to achieve fair compensation.
- In what timeframe will the legal process take?
Timelines change widely and depend on the complexity of the case, the willingness of parties to settle, court schedules and other factors.
- How might I afford a fatal car accident lawyer in Collinsville, IL?
Firms like Halvorsen Klote often operate on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay nothing unless compensation is obtained.
Other cases we take on in Collinsville, IL include:
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Consult With a Fatal Car Accident Lawyer in Collinsville, IL Today
The grieving process following a fatal car accident in Collinsville, IL is indescribably difficult, and the legal complexities can be intimidating. During such a time, expert and empathetic legal support can make a marked difference. If you or a loved one are in need of assistance, Halvorsen Klote is devoted to providing excellent representation.
Our team of proficient Collinsville, IL fatal car accident lawyers stands to assist you and your family through every stage of the legal process, with the compassion, skill, and determination that your case needs. You don't have to face this difficult journey alone. Speak to a fatal car accident lawyer in Collinsville, IL today at 866-382-4167 or fill out our online form for a free case review.