Wrongful Death Attorneys in Lebanon, MO
Call for a Consultation and Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Lebanon, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our firm knows that the loss of a loved one is tragic. As experienced injury and wrongful death lawyers in Lebanon, MO, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages after an unexpected death. This includes car and truck crashes, falls, work-related incidents, medical malpractice, and others. Families may be able to recover compensation for their loss. Contact our Lebanon, MO, wrongful death attorneys today for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
"Who can sue" is a common question from clients. This depends on the state the victim is in and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors are able to sue after a wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support and care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are an average of 170,000 unintentional deaths each year in the U.S. If you are financially dependent on another person who has died, it is crucial to reach out to a wrongful death lawyer in Lebanon, MO, as soon as possible. Losing income, childcare, and other support can cause major harm and financial stress on any survivors. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these types of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can Be Sued for Wrongful Death?
There's a number of liable parties depending on the incident. The law varies based on which state the death occurs. In general, survivors have been potentially victimized by whichever parties are at fault. This can include a driving company's employer if you're in an auto accident, the contractor responsible for any roadwork, an employee, government agencies, distributors or manufacturers, a property owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on where the accident happened, any liability coverage, and other factors. It is essential to contact an experienced Lebanon, MO, wrongful death attorney that will assess the claim and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes may range from dying in a train accident to a construction platform falling on someone. There's no way to know. A few of the more common causes include the following:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths every year in the United States.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve defective medical equipment, anesthesia and surgical errors, and prescribing the wrong kind of medication.
- Workplace accidents often involve machinery malfunctions, chemical exposure, and burns.
- Product liability deaths can be caused due to equipment failure (faulty brakes on a car), lack of a warning systems, chemicals, and other dangerous products.
Damages for Wrongful Death
Economic damages may include any loss of financial earnings, lost benefits, any loss of inheritance, and any goods and services the survivor may have contributed in the future. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages that have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages are more complicated. Non-economic repercussions like pain and suffering, loss of consortium or love, guidance, and nurturing can all factor into play. Certain states allow you to claim punitive damages for negligent acts.
Your Lebanon, MO, wrongful death lawyers will calculate these damages and ensure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The general rule is you should pursue a case within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for before you hire an attorney to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you work with? You need to know if you are contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to handle your case.
- What kind of experience do you have? Many firms should be able to provide you with case results and reviews.
- How much does it cost for your services? Lawyer fees are an obvious concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Reach Out To a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Lebanon, MO, Now
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote today for a consultation. Call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case review and consultation. Our Lebanon, MO, wrongful death lawyers handle a number of other cases too, including:
- Truck Accident Attorneys
- Bodily Injury Lawyer
- Auto Accident Lawyer
- Injury Attorney
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- TCPA Violation Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer
Our firm would be happy to discuss your case. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our testimonials here.
No matter the cause of death, it's crucial to contact a local wrongful death lawyers in Lebanon, MO, right away if there are financial damages. Legal assistance doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don't win your case you don't owe us anything and there aren't any upfront fees. Our Lebanon, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to win.