Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chamois, MO
Call for a Case Review and Consultation
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chamois, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our firm knows that losing a loved one or family member is difficult and tragic. As experienced personal injury and wrongful death lawyers in Chamois, MO, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages in the case of an unexpected death. This includes car and truck crashes, falls, work-related incidents, medical malpractice, and others. Families may be able to receive compensation for their loss. Contact our Chamois, MO, wrongful death attorneys today for a case review and consultation.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
"Who can sue" is a common question from clients. The answer varies on the state the victim is in and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors are able to sue after a wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support or care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are more than 170,000 unintentional deaths each year in the U.S. If you're financially dependent on another person that dies, it is important to contact a wrongful death attorney in Chamois, MO, as soon as possible. Losing income, childcare, and other support may cause serious harm and financial stress on any survivors. Halvorsen Klote has helped victims with these sorts of cases. You can view our testimonials here.
Who Can Be Sued for Wrongful Death?
There's a number of liable parties depending on the case. The law varies based on which state the death occurs. In general, claimants have been potentially victimized by whichever parties are at fault. This includes a driver and that driver's employer, the company responsible for any roadwork, an employee, government agencies, manufacturers and distributors, a building owner, and others.
Who is at fault depends on factors like how the accident happened, where it occurred, and who is liable. It's important to contact an experienced Chamois, MO, wrongful death attorney that will assess the claim and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes may range from a bad reaction to medication or a faulty piece of machinery. There's no way to know. A few of the more common causes include the following:
- Car and truck accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths each year in the United States.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve defective medical equipment, anesthesia and surgical errors, and prescribing the wrong kind of medication.
- On-the-job accidents often include machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability deaths can be caused due to equipment failure (faulty brakes on a car), lack of a warning systems, chemicals, and other dangerous products.
What Damages Can You Recover for Wrongful Death?
Economic damages can include any loss of financial earnings, lost benefits, any loss of inheritance, and even the value of goods a victim would have provided if they didn't die. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages that have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages aren't always as clear. Non-economic repercussions such as emotional distress, loss of guidance or training, pain and suffering, and loss of love can all factor into play. Some states allow you to claim punitive damages for wrongful acts.
Our Chamois, MO, wrongful death attorneys will calculate these damages and ensure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You should also consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The rule of thumb is that you should pursue a case within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer
There are a few things you should look for before you hire an attorney to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you work with? You need to know if you're contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to manage your case.
- Do you have experience with these types of cases? Any firm should be able to provide you with case results and reviews.
- How much does your firm charge? Lawyer fees are an obvious concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Reach Out To a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Chamois, MO, Today
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote today for a consultation. Call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case consultation. Our Chamois, MO, wrongful death lawyers manage a number of other cases as well, including:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Our firm would be happy to speak with you. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our case results here.
No matter the cause of death, it's crucial to contact a local wrongful death lawyers in Chamois, MO, right away if there are financial damages. Legal representation doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don't win your case you don't owe us anything and there aren't any upfront fees. Our Chamois, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to help.