Wrongful Death Attorneys in High Hill, MO
Call for a Consultation and Case Review
Wrongful Death Attorneys in High Hill, MO. Halvorsen Klote serves victims and their families in Metro St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Our firm understands that the loss of a family member is difficult. As experienced injury and wrongful death lawyers in High Hill, MO, Halvorsen Klote helps survivors recover any financial damages after an unexpected death. This includes car and truck crashes, falls, work-related incidents, medical malpractice, and others. Families may be able to recover compensation for their loss. Contact our High Hill, MO, wrongful death attorneys today for more information.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
This is a frequent question we get from clients. The answer varies on which state the victim died and many other factors. As a basic rule, the following survivors are usually able to sue for wrongful death:
- Immediate family members (children, parents, guardians, siblings, adoptees)
- Financial dependants for lost support and care
- Distant family members such as cousins and grandparents
- Spouses or long-term partners
There are an average of 170,000 unintentional deaths each year in the U.S. If you are a dependent of someone that dies, it is important to contact a wrongful death attorney in High Hill, MO, as soon as possible. Losing income, childcare, and other support can cause major harm and financial stress. Halvorsen Klote has helped clients with these sorts of cases. Feel free to view our testimonials here.
Who Can You Sue for Wrongful Death?
There's a number of liable parties depending on the incident. Each state has different laws on this, of course. In general, survivors have been potentially victimized by whichever parties are at fault. This includes a driving company's employer if you're in an auto accident, the contractor responsible for any roadwork, an employee, a government agency, distributors or manufacturers, a property owner, and others.
Who's at fault depends on where the accident happened, any liability coverage, and other factors. It is important to contact an experienced High Hill, MO, wrongful death attorney that can assess the claim and make sure all damages are covered.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Tragic events can lead to incredible stress for family members. The causes may range from a bad reaction to medication or a faulty piece of machinery. There's no way to know. A few of the more common causes include:
- Automotive accidents account for nearly 40,000 deaths each year in the U.S.
- Medical malpractice claims often involve defective medical equipment, anesthesia and surgical errors, and prescribing the wrong kind of medication.
- On-the-job accidents often include machine failure, burns, chemicals, asbestos, and others.
- Product liability deaths can be caused due to equipment failure (faulty brakes on a car), lack of a warning systems, chemicals, and other dangerous products.
Our wrongful death attorneys in High Hill, MO, provide valuable legal services to victims. View our client testimonials to learn more about our firm. Our attorneys are here to help.
What Damages Can You Recover for Wrongful Death?
Economic damages can include any loss of financial earnings, loss of benefits, any loss of inheritance, and even the value of goods a victim would have provided if they didn't die. You can also add medical and funeral expenses that survivors had to pay for. These are also considered "special" damages which have an attached dollar amount. Most expenses can be included in a settlement.
General damages are more complicated. Non-economic repercussions such as emotional distress, loss of guidance or training, pain and suffering, and loss of love can all factor in. Some states allow you to claim punitive damages for negligent acts.
Our High Hill, MO, wrongful death attorneys will calculate these damages and make sure survivors receive adequate reimbursement for their loss. You also need to consider statutes of limitations in the state you're in. The general rule is you should pursue a claim within one year.
Tips for Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
There are a few things you should look for before you hire an attorney to represent your case. Below are a few questions to get you started:
- What kind of clients do you typically represent? You need to know if you are contacting the right kind of firm (size, experience, etc.) to handle your case.
- What kind of experience do you have? Many firms should be able to provide you with case results and reviews.
- How much does it cost for your services? Lawyer fees are an obvious concern. In tort law, most firms charge on a contingency basis (services are free and a percentage of any victory is awarded to the client).
Contact a Wrongful Death Lawyer in High Hill, MO, Today
Don't hesitate to reach out to Halvorsen Klote today for a consultation. Call us at 1-877-51-HKLAW (877-514-5529 for a case review and consultation. Our High Hill, MO, wrongful death lawyers handle a variety of other cases as well, including:
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Our lawyers would be more than happy to discuss your case. We've settled numerous cases and you can view our testimonials here.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.
Attorney at Law
Samantha Orlowski is a practicing attorney Halvorsen Klote.
Samantha joined Halvorsen Klote in 2018 as a law clerk and has since become a practicing attorney. Sam's number one priority is to provide individualized experiences for each client to achieve the best results.
No matter the cause of death, it is essential to contact our local wrongful death lawyers in High Hill, MO, right away if there are financial damages. Legal representation doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our High Hill, MO, wrongful death attorneys are here to help.