Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in High Hill, MO
High Hill, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | High Hill, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in High Hill, MO. Riding a bicycle can imbue a wonderful sense of freedom. But too often, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident even after you did everything that you were supposed to, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We offer expert legal representation the injured and vulnerable in High Hill, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an accomplished and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
High Hill, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in motor vehicle accidents in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle collisions 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
In both Missouri and Illinois, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes occur at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American travelers and commuters, each year they account for over two percent of motor vehicle fatalities. The deviation speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in High Hill, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist merely was not paying attention. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically leads to bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Inadequately zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents on the side of the road cause more serious injuries because of the higher speeds involved. Your High Hill, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a thorough investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from High Hill, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in permanent consequences. We've helped secure the best possible compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because of the severity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need skilled and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the High Hill, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in High Hill, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your case. Each case is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is to blame, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and make each of them pay you based on how much of the accident was their fault. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But the road is for everyone, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone hits you because they were driving under the influence, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Under the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Faulty or Motor Vehicle Component
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as tires, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety issue arises. If they fail to, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform drug tests, they would be responsible for a portion of your compensation.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our High Hill, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections played a part in your accident, your High Hill, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My High Hill, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial damages and other factors:
- The extent of your injuries — More significant injuries lead to higher medical costs, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote High Hill, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional well-being — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Does your wrist spasm when you try to play the guitar? A seasoned and knowledgeable High Hill, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a construction worker who suffered an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in High Hill, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 50 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure your future is comfortable.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our High Hill, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your damages. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. Our practice is founded on the idea that everyone has should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in High Hill, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in High Hill, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our High Hill, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their profession to fighting for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive all the money they are entitled to. You do not pay unless we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in High Hill, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.