Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Union, MO
Union, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Union, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Union, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But on too many occasions, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything that you were supposed to, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We offer expert legal representation clients in Union, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an accomplished and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Union, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in auto wrecks across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, which caused 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both states, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Over three-tenths of bike crashes transpire at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, annually they account for more than two percent of motor vehicle fatalities. The disparity points to the horrible destruction motorists can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Union, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver negligence or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically results in bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents between intersections cause more serious injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Union, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Union, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in lifelong disability. We've helped secure the best possible financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need skilled and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Union, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Union, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the causes of your accident. Each injury is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is liable, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and make each of them reimburse you based on how much of the accident was their fault. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But the road is for everyone, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone hits you because they were driving under the influence, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as respecting bike lanes. Pursuant to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you wee injured because a driver passed too closely, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Faulty or Car Component
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as brakes, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they are negligent in that duty, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Municipal entities both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Union, MO roadways. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections contributed to your injuries, your Union, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own rules for maintaining safe roads. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is necessary for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My Union, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that determine what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The severity of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical expenses, and you should receive all of those expenses. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a an appointment or two with your primary care doctor. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Union, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional well-being — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. After years of playing piano, is it hard to sit up straight on the bench now? An experienced and skilled Union, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you need to be compensated for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who sustained an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Union, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 50 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Union, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should have access to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Union, MO:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Union, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is confusing, painful and leads to a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Union, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their careers to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they recover the full compensation they deserve. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Union, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.