Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Maryland Heights, MO
Maryland Heights, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Maryland Heights, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Maryland Heights, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for the mind and body. But too frequently, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Maryland Heights, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a qualified and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Maryland Heights, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in auto crashes in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which caused 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which lead to 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Over three-tenths of bike crashes occur between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, each year they account for over two percent of traffice-related fatalities. The disparity points to the horrible destruction drivers can do when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Maryland Heights, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist merely did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents between intersections cause more serious injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Maryland Heights, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a thorough investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Maryland Heights, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be disastrous and even sometimes result in lifelong disability. We've helped secure maximum financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because of the seriousness of the bicycle accident injuries, you need accomplished and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Maryland Heights, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Maryland Heights, MO?
Who is liable depends on the causes of your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. You may be able to seek compensation from:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any other vehicle, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone injures you because they were texting and driving, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. Pursuant to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Car Component
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as brakes, you can seek a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to report drug tests, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Entity
Municipal entities both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Maryland Heights, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as cracked pavement contributed to your accident, your Maryland Heights, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own regulations for maintaining safe roads. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is vital for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Maryland Heights, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic loss and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — More significant injuries lead to higher medical bills, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to much higher compensation than a an appointment or two with your primary care physician. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Maryland Heights, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? A seasoned and talented Maryland Heights, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a construction worker who suffered a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Maryland Heights, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is comfortable.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. So if your damages total $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Maryland Heights, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has should be able to lean on the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Maryland Heights, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Maryland Heights, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is confusing, infuriating and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Maryland Heights, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their practice to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they recover the full compensation they are entitled to. You only pay if we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Maryland Heights, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.