Injury Claim Lawyer Jefferson City, MO
Jefferson City, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Complimentary Consultation | Jefferson City, MO Injury Claim Lawyer
Injury Claim Lawyer in Jefferson City, MO. Injuries can happen to anyone almost anytime, creating unforeseen and severe financial, physical and emotional afflictions. It's normal to be angry when your injuries are caused by someone else's reckless actions. Missouri and Illinois law provide a channel for injured victims to collect compensation for their damages in the form of personal injury claims. In most cases, you'll need the aid of an injury claim lawyer in Jefferson City, MO to get the most value for your claim. At Halvorsen Klote, we have pledged our lives to getting clients in Missouri and Southern Illinois great compensation, and providing them with the same high standard of legal representation as large insurance companies. If you were injured because someone else was negligent, call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Common Causes of Personal Injury Claims | Jefferson City, MO Injury Claim Lawyer
Personal injury claims are legal claims seeking restitution for injuries caused by someone else's careless, reckless, or intentional actions. While determining who is liable depends on the specific circumstances of your accident, most cases will be decided by law governing one of a number of common accident types. Some of the most frequent claims our injury claim lawyer team gets great compensation for in Jefferson City, MO are:
- Auto crashes, such as
- Product liability
- Premises liability
- Slip and fall
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Dog bites
- Construction site accidents
- Daycare injuries
- Swimming pool accidents
Regardless of how your injuries transpired, your Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer in Jefferson City, MO has seen it before. To take the first step in recovering restitution for your injuries, contact us as soon as possible so we can start working on your claim.
Determining If You Have an Injury Claim | Jefferson City, MO Injury Claim Lawyer
Not all injuries and accidents are cause for an injury or accident claim; you must demonstrate that another party is to blame for your damages. In order for your case to be successful, your injury claim lawyer must how the other party's action or inaction constitutes the five elements of negligence:
- Duty of Care: Demonstrating a duty of care is predominant a personal injury claim. You must demonstrate that the defendant had a duty to keep you safe. This is automatic in auto accident claims, as both Missouri and Illinois have put forth that drivers owe other drivers, passengers, bicyclists and pedestrians a duty of care. Other relationships, a doctor-patient relationship or that between a property manager and patron, have defined duties of care.
- Breach of Duty: Next, you must demonstrate that the person who owed you a duty of care behaved in a way that was unreasonable or committed an act that was against the law.
- Cause in Fact: Following that, you must demonstrate that were it not for the defendant's actions or inaction, you would not have been injured. Meaning, if a driver had not been drunk, or a doctor had diagnosed you correctly, you would not have incurred the damages for which you are making a claim.
- Proximate Cause: This refers to whether or not the defendant can be held accountable for the cause in fact. If a property owner had no way of knowing of a hazardous condition they may not be at fault.
- Damages: The last thing you need to demonstrate is that you incurred damages. In a personal injury claim, that means you have to provide documentation of your injuries. If a dog nips at you and you only receive a minor cut that doesn't get infected, you probably will not be able to file a sound claim because you did not sustain any actual injury.
Every Jefferson City, MO injury claim lawyer at Halvorsen Klote knows how to demonstrate negligence and get you the full financial recovery you are owed. If you're uncertain if you have a claim, get in touch with an injury claim lawyer as soon as possible. We don't charge anything for evaluating your case, so there's no reason not to call us to discuss your claim.
Frequently Asked Questions | Jefferson City, MO Injury Claim Lawyer
When we get a new case in Jefferson City, MO, it's usually somebody who has never gone through an injury claim and is understandably uncertain about the process and how it works. Read on below for some FAQs from your Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer in Jefferson City, MO:
How Much Compensation Should I Expect to Receive?
That will vary depending on the individual circumstances of your injury, the scope of your damages and the talent and drive of your Jefferson City, MO injury claim lawyer. With our assistance you can receive a financial restitution for:
- Property damage, for example damage to your vehicle
- Wage loss for any time periods where your injury did not allow you to work
- Lowered earning potential if your injuries have permanent consequences on your ability to complete tasks at your job
- Medical costs, such as:
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors' visits
- Assistive devices such as modifications to your home or vehicle
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Your Jefferson City, MO injury claim lawyer at Halvorsen Klote knows how to correctly value the full extent of your damages and deliver you the full financial recovery you deserve.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim?
In Missouri, the statute of limitations on most injury claims is five years, while it is two years in Illinois.
Both states offer rare exceptions for age or disability, but it is paramount to call an injury claim lawyer in Jefferson City, MO right away after being in an accident so that you do not bring difficulties to your case.
What Is The Burden of Proof in Personal Injury Claims?
We've all heard the phrase "beyond a reasonable doubt." That's the burden of proof that juries and judges are held to in criminal court so that there is no chance that an innocent person lands in jail. Personal injury claims are civil cases, and the burden of proof is called a preponderance of the evidence. That means that a fact-finder — whoever makes the final decision in your case — must find only that there is a greater than 50 percent chance that the claim is true.
So, if a drunk driver avoids a criminal conviction because of errors in a police reports, you can still hold them liable in a civil court.
If your injury claim lawyer is helping you pursue punitive damages, you must show clear and convincing evidence, which is a higher standard than preponderance of the evidence but lower than beyond a reasonable doubt.
How Long Does an Injury Claim Take?
Again, that depends on the specifics of your case. The Bureau of Justice Statistics reports that nearly all tort suits are settled before they go to trial. If the parties settle, a claim can be resolved within a few months, while you might have to wait for up to two years if a case in Jefferson City, MO goes to trial. If your injuries do not have lifelong consequences, it might be a good idea to wait until you've reached maximum medical improvement so you can be compensated for your full medical expenses.
What's the Timeline for a Personal Injury Claim?
Generally, after you've been injured by another person's negligence in Jefferson City, MO, the order of events is as follows:
- You get medical care (and keep with it until you have completely recovered).
- You discuss your claim with an injury claim lawyer.
- The attorney investigates your case and gathers evidence, for example police reports and medical records.
- Your injury claim lawyer makes an official settlement demand letter.
- If the the insurance company refuses to pay the settlement demand, your injury claim lawyer will decide if the best course of action is to attempt to negotiate or file a lawsuit.
- Your lawyer enters the discovery phase, where they gather futher evidence and collect expert testimony.
- Your injury claim lawyer and the insurance company enter negotiations in front of an impartial intermediary in mediation.
- We take your case to trial if we do not get you a fair settlement offer in negotiations.
Can I Still Get Compensation if I Was Partially at Fault?
Yes. Missouri is what is called a "pure comparative negligence" state, which means your compensation will be taken out by the portion of blame you share. Meaning, if a jury decides your damages add up to $100,000 but determines you were 30 percent to blame, you will only recover $70,000. Illinois is called a "modified comparative negligence" state, which means you can only receive a financial recovery if you are less than 50 percent to blame.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire an Injury Claim Lawyer? | Jefferson City, MO Injury Claim Lawyer
It's possible you are apprehensive about whether or not you can afford legal representation in Jefferson City, MO because you're already paying for medical expenses and might not be able to work at the moment because of your injuries. A benefit of enlisting the services of an injury claim lawyer at Halvorsen Klote is, in contrast to criminal defense attorneys in Jefferson City, MO, we are paid with a contingency fee. There are three principal benefits to that:
- We do not charge anything in advance of services. Because we don't get an hourly rate, we take a percentage of the compensation you are awarded — only after you get paid.
- We charge nothing if we do not secure a successful resolution for your claim. A Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer only makes a profit by using their talent and drive to attain a successful resolution in your case.
- We won't take on your case unless we honestly believe we will be able to add significantly more value to your claim . We accept the risk of using our resources to win your case, and we won't make promises we can't keep or mislead you.
Whatever your current economic situation is, a Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer in Jefferson City, MO will take on your case and fight with all of our resources to see you get the great results you deserve.
Check out the following links to find out what other services we offer in Jefferson City, MO:
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
Call HK Law Today
Jefferson City, MO Injury Claim Lawyer | Halvorsen Klote
You don't have to go through the complex legal process alone. When you hire a Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer in Jefferson City, MO, we start investigating your case immediately and keep you informed until we secure a successful resolution. We make sure you understand your claim and the law so you can do the best thing for you and your Jefferson City, MO family. Call an injury claim lawyer in Jefferson City, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.
Attorney at Law
Samantha Orlowski is a practicing attorney Halvorsen Klote.
Samantha joined Halvorsen Klote in 2018 as a law clerk and has since become a practicing attorney. Sam's number one priority is to provide individualized experiences for each client to achieve the best results.