Injury Claim Lawyer Belleville, IL
Belleville, IL Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Belleville, IL Injury Claim Lawyer
Injury Claim Lawyer in Belleville, IL. Injuries can happen to anyone almost anytime, creating sudden and harsh economic, physical and emotional afflictions. It can be maddening when your injuries result from someone else's negligence. Missouri and Illinois law provide an avenue for injured victims to get a financial recovery for their damages in the form of personal injury claims. In most cases, it can be difficult for Belleville, IL residents to recover fair compensation without the help of an injury claim lawyer. At Halvorsen Klote, we have devoted our lives to getting clients in Missouri and Southern Illinois great compensation, and providing them with the same high standard of legal representation as large insurance companies. If you were injured because someone else was negligent, call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
Leading Causes of Personal Injury Claims | Belleville, IL Injury Claim Lawyer
Personal injury claims are are the manner through which you can seek restitution for injuries caused by someone else's inattentive, reckless, or intentional actions. While determining who is liable depends on the specific circumstances of your injury, most cases will be decided by law governing one of a number of common categories. Some of the most common claims our injury claim lawyer team takes on in Belleville, IL are:
- Auto crashes, such as
- Product liability
- Premises liability
- Slip and fall
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Dog bites
- Construction site accidents
- Daycare injuries
- Swimming pool accidents
No matter how your injuries occurred, your Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer in Belleville, IL has seen it before. To take the first step in recovering restitution for your injuries, call us as soon as possible so we can start working on your claim.
Determining If You Have an Injury Claim | Belleville, IL Injury Claim Lawyer
You cannot make a claim for any injury or accident; you must demonstrate that someone else is liable for your damages. In order for your injury claim lawyer to win your case, they must prove the five elements of negligence:
- Duty of Care: Confirming a duty of care is predominant a personal injury claim. You must demonstrate that the defendant had a responsibility to your safety. This is automatic in auto accident claims, as both Missouri and Illinois have put into law that drivers owe others a duty of care. Other associations, such as between a doctor and patient or a property owner and visitor, have preestablished duties of care.
- Breach of Duty: After establishing a breach of duty, you need to show that the person who had a responsibility to your safety behaved in a way that was unreasonable or did something against the law.
- Cause in Fact: The third step is showing that were it not for the defendant's actions or inaction, you would not have been injured. Meaning, if a driver had not been distracted, or if a restaurant manager had put a "wet floor" sign up, you would not have incurred the damages for which you are making a claim.
- Proximate Cause: This relates to whether the cause in fact was really the the other party's fault. If a driver ran a red light because their breaks malfunctioned, then the duty of care may have been breached by a manufacturer or mechanic, not by the driver.
- Damages: The last thing you need to prove is that you sustained damages. In a personal injury claim, that means you were injured. If a dog nips at you and you only receive a minor cut that doesn't get infected, you likely do not have a claim because you did not receive any real injury.
Every Belleville, IL injury claim lawyer at Halvorsen Klote knows how to take on, prove, and win every type of personal injury claim. If don't know whether or not you have a claim, it's best to consult with an injury claim lawyer right away. Our consultation is free, so there's no risk in calling us to discuss your claim.
Frequently Asked Questions | Belleville, IL Injury Claim Lawyer
When we get a new case in Belleville, IL, it's usually somebody who has never gone through an injury claim and is understandably uncertain about the process and how it works. Read on below for some FAQs from your Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer in Belleville, IL:
How Much Is My Injury Claim Worth?
That will vary depending on the particulars of your injury, the scope of your damages and the talent and dedication of your Belleville, IL injury claim lawyer. We can help you collect compensation for:
- Property damage, such as damage to your vehicle
- Lost wages for any time periods where your injury did not permit you to work
- Decreased earning capacity if your injuries result in disability
- Medical expenses, such as:
- Emergency room visits
- Follow up appointments
- Assistive devices such as modifications to your home or car
- Pain and suffering
- Mental distress
Your Belleville, IL injury claim lawyer at Halvorsen Klote knows how to properly value claims and secure you the full financial recovery you are owed.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim?
Both states offer rare exceptions for age or disability, but it is imperative to contact an injury claim lawyer in Belleville, IL immediately after an injury to avoid bringing difficulties to your claim.
What Is The Burden of Proof in Personal Injury Claims?
We've all heard the phrase "beyond a reasonable doubt." That's the burden of proof that juries and judges must adhere to in criminal cases so that there is no chance that an innocent person is imprisoned. Personal injury claims are civil cases, and the the pertinent burden of proof is a preponderance of the evidence. That means that a fact-finder — whoever makes the final decision in your case — must find only that the claim is more likely than not to be true.
So, if a drunk driver avoids a criminal conviction because of mistakes in police work, you can still hold them to blame in a civil court.
If your injury claim lawyer is helping you seek punitive damages, you must provide clear and convincing evidence, which is a higher standard than preponderance of the evidence but lower than beyond a reasonable doubt.
How Long Does an Injury Claim Take?
Again, that will vary based on the individual circumstances of your injury. The Bureau of Justice Statistics found that 96 percent of tort cases are settled in negotiations. A settlement may only take a few months, while you might have to wait for up to two years if a case in Belleville, IL goes to court. If your injuries do not result in permanent disability, it might be best to wait until you've reached maximum medical improvement so you can be compensated for your full medical costs.
What's the Timeline for a Personal Injury Claim?
Generally, after you've been injured by somebody else's negligence in Belleville, IL, you can expect the process to proceed as follows:
- You get medical care (and keep with it until you have fully recovered).
- You discuss your claim with an injury claim lawyer.
- The lawyer conducts an investigation into your case and acquires evidence, for example police reports and medical records.
- Your injury claim lawyer makes a formal settlement demand letter.
- If the the insurance company refuses to pay the settlement demand, your injury claim lawyer may decide to negotiate or may immediately file a lawsuit.
- Your lawyer enters the discovery phase, where they acquire futher evidence and obtain expert opinions.
- Your injury claim lawyer and the the other party enter negotiations in front of an impartial party in mediation.
- We take your case to court if the insurance company will not be fair in negotiations.
Can I Still Get Compensation if I Was Partially Responsible for the Injury?
Yes. Missouri is what is called a "pure comparative negligence" state, which means your compensation will be taken out by the portion of responsibility you share. So if a jury decides your damages add up to $100,000 but finds you were 30 percent to blame, you will only collect $70,000. Illinois is considered a "modified comparative negligence" state, which means you can only receive compensation if you are less than 50 percent to blame.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire an Injury Claim Lawyer? | Belleville, IL Injury Claim Lawyer
It's possible you are nervous about whether or not you can afford legal representation in Belleville, IL because the medical bills and lost wages are piling up and you're not sure you can pay for an attorney. An advantage to hiring an injury claim lawyer at Halvorsen Klote is, in contrast to corporate attorneys in Belleville, IL, we work on a contingency fee basis. That means three things:
- We do not charge anything in advance of services. Instead of getting an hourly rate, we take a portion of the compensation you receive — only after you get paid.
- You owe us nothing if we do not win your case. A Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer only earns a living by implementing their skill and determination to get you the best possible results.
- We only take cases on when we truly believe we will be able to substantially increase your final recovery . We take on the risk of employing our resources for you, and we'll always be honest with you and will never mislead you.
No matter what your present financial status is, a Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer in Belleville, IL will take on your case and fight with all of our resources to see you get the great results you deserve.
Check out the these links to discover what other services we offer in Belleville, IL:
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Belleville, IL Injury Claim Lawyer | Halvorsen Klote
You shouldn't have to pay because someone else was negligent and injured you. When you hire a Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer in Belleville, IL, we start investigating your case immediately and maintain an open and consistent line of communication with you until we secure a successful resolution. We give you all the information you need to make the best decision for you and your Belleville, IL family. Call an injury claim lawyer in Belleville, IL today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.