Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wentzville, MO
Wentzville, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Wentzville, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wentzville, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too frequently, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to the injured and vulnerable in Wentzville, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to a qualified and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Wentzville, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Wentzville, MO to guarantee the best possible result. A personal injury lawyer in Wentzville, MO can give support in a multitude of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you increase your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are legally entitled to
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law truthfully and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless claims adjuster can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do whatever it takes they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing very little about injury and accident law to provide as little money as feasible. We'll ensure they understand their legal duty to compensate you for every single one of your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including collecting evidence, interviewing people who saw the accident, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make mistakes or overlook critical steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a asset, not a weakness.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on recovering.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interrogate witnesses, review medical records, and connect your injuries to your accident, as well as interview witnesses who can validate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more evidence is needed. Experienced bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to find the evidence needed to win your claim.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if liability isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to fight against your rights. That's why you need seasoned personal injury lawyers in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and bring them to trial if necessary.
As experienced Wentzville, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side for the duration of your case, from our first consultation through a jury or bench trial.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Wentzville, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in traffic crashes across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle crashes 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
Nationawide, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes occur between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for over twice that in motor vehicle deaths. The discrepancy points to the terrible damage motorists can do when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Wentzville, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist just did not see a bicyclist. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically leads to bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents on the side of the road are more severe because of the higher speeds involved. Your Wentzville, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Wentzville, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure great financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need accomplished and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Wentzville, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Wentzville, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the specifics of your case. Each accident is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any passenger car, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone hits you because they were distracted by using their phone, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Following the legal practice of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a law. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Faulty or Car Parts
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they fail to, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Agency
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Wentzville, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections played a part in your injuries, your Wentzville, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own rules for maintaining safe roads. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, according to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Wentzville, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial loss and other factors:
- The scope of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, and you should receive all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Wentzville, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional health — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the physical and emotional burdens caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it a grind just to bring the groceries in? A seasoned and talented Wentzville, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you need to be compensated for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who suffered a back injury in a bicycle accident in Wentzville, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been severely compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially at fault, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Wentzville, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. Our practice is founded on the idea that everyone has should have access to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Wentzville, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and confusing, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Get Medical Treatment
If you can, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, hold out for emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you you are free to leave the scene. If you didn't go the same day, schedule a visit to your primary care physician as soon as you can. If you don't have records from a physician of your injuries, you won't be able to get compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in demonstrating the other party's liability. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When talking to police, don't confess fault or over-explain your actions. Be truthful, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't offer any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can contact them afterwards.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an unfairly low offer. They want you to settle before you realize the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost never true. The majority of injury attorneys offer free consultations, so it's always worth it to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Wentzville, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wentzville, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Wentzville, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their careers to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they get all the money they deserve. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Wentzville, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.